Italy

Hi guys... I’m kinda frustrated by now, so my last hope is to ask you experts what to do.
I used to play instruments and arrange some electronic music when I was younger and I thought it could be cool to start over with some sweet chipmusic using my old beloved gaming platforms. So I got an EMS 64M USB to load up LSDJ and try it out, but I didn’t expect how hard it could be to actually load the rom on the cartridge. I read all the stuff about os compatibility issues, but there was no reason for me to worry because I have both Win7 and OsX. I was wrong... Deadly wrong...

I first tried on Win7 (64bit) having no success even using NGhq (that software about driver signature overrider suggested by most of the installation guides): Win7 kept me saying that the “unknown usb drive” can’t accept the drivers I was hoping to install.
Then I tried winXP (on both virtual machine and the real thing on a couple of computers). Same story: the os was just spitting on those drivers.

I knew that the EMS was not supposed to work over OsX... But what the hell: I had to try! Unsuccessful operations led me to the EMS Flasher binaries. Everything was going right, but on the writing rom command, Terminal bumped in my face with this message: “Could not find/open device, is it plugged in?”. Despair...

I know that this story is kinda lame, but indeed I’m a lame guy in these sort of things (maybe a little unlucky).
So I’m wondering: can you suggest me something to try or I just have to let all this thing beat me and go play a triangle in a rock band?

Thank you guys for your time

P.S.: before you ask... The cart was connected and I tried the exe every now and then on win7/xp.

Europa surfing on the monolith

http://www.hkems.com/files/EMSlink/64bi … _Guide.pdf - manual
http://www.hkems.com/files/EMSlink/EMSLink_v3.1.0.zip - 64 bit driver
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo - software needed by the manual to install the driver
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-cable-mini-b - usb mini b cable if needed
http://www.techenclave.com/operating-sy … 45539.html - article on how to use the digital signature enforcement overriding software step by step.

I followed all of these links when I received my first cart (I now own 9 of them with no flashing issues to date) minus the usb cable and the dseo software as I have used it for a multitude of things in Windows 7 64 bit edition , and it works flawlessly, this is covered by kitsch-bent and nonfinites website I believe.

You may be trolled for posting this (useless banter, typical newb profiling shit) as I'm pretty sure this has already been covered on this site as well as 8bc.org, just a heads up, quite a few useless people hanging around with nothing better to do.

Good Luck man.

Last edited by nkogliaz (Jul 21, 2011 5:41 pm)

Italy

Well... If trolls want to talk so be it. I've an issue with this stuff and I don't care.

Thanks for those links you provided, but I've already used them all in the past following step by step every guide. This is my second post in this community but I know it pretty well. I've widely searched for solutions here and on 8bc. I've read discussions and tried what they said but nothing seems to work.
I rarely ask for help with this kind of things because I know that the solution is somewhere on the internet. But this time I simply can't figure out what's wrong; that's why I was asking for suggestions here.

Europa surfing on the monolith

Are you using the flashing software that came on the mini cd with the cart (GB_USB.exe)?

Last edited by nkogliaz (Jul 21, 2011 6:35 pm)

Italy

I got no mini disk with the cartridge. I had to download the exe (and other files) from the internet. The links to GB_USB.exe were easy to find because they are almost everywhere. As you can read in the P.S. of the first post I used it to check connection even if the os was telling me that drivers weren't good... of course there was no response...

matt's mind

*if you got the cart from us* the minidisc should be inside the packaging.  open it all up and its sandwiched inside.  from others i can't speak about...

also you may want to try to restart the computer to make sure the system registry is up-to-date. 

if the installation fails, to startover you'll need to manually delete the files you added to your computer, as well as go into "Devices and Printers" and uninstall the assigned driver the the EMS device (you'll have to have the cartridge plugged in to do this, obviously).  unassign/delete the driver, manually delete all the files from your computer, restart, and start over.

restart between all the major steps.  this helps a lot of people.

Italy

Thank you for support.
I bought the cart from a UK reseller. As far I can remember there was no disk, but maybe I just dropped it because I have no device to read it (no loading tray just the slot). That's not an issue though; the drivers and the executable are easily downloadable.
I've already tried starting over after deleting the drivers and I tried yesterday once again, but the result was the same. As you all are suggesting me steps that I've already done I wonder if the cartridge is somehow defective.

Sydney, NSW

You're not the only one with the problem
I've had problems getting the drivers to work on Windows 7 (32 bit), and to no avail.

I'm sure it's a defective cart.

Brazil

This is an issue and happens more than we thought of hahaha

And yes, probably is a defective cart (i have one of these to send back to kitsch!)

i had same problem
cart definetly iz defective , i bought it from djtransformer and he replaced it for me wiz no prob : O

Italy

mmmh... Ok thanks for your comments. I'm assuming the defective cart theory is right and asking for replacement. :\
Thank you all again.

Sydney, NSW
KODEK wrote:

i had same problem
cart definetly iz defective , i bought it from djtransformer and he replaced it for me wiz no prob : O

Really, awesome!!! I'll have to get on to Transformer and tell him about the cart.

Argentina

Have you tryed restarting Windows 7 on "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" mode?
before windows starts hit F8 many times, choose this option (I use it everytime I need to use this card)
delete and reinstall the drivers in this mode and should work

Italy

Yeah I've tryed disabling driver signature too...
Anyway now I've solved with another cart; it seems that the first one was really defective :\