New York, New York

These alternatives are: Audiomulch, Bidule & Renoise. I don't have a lot of weighty reasons why I feel good about the alternatives to MAX/MSP I found. Mostly I have to try the pre-purchase versions, and then after having a few months I can find out if I'm right about loving these programs. I just think the differences between the programs means I can have reason to use all, but some of the programs allow the other programs to be hosted inside them. And I think I could use any of them to do live sets. I think I'm going to like Bidule a lot because it allows some lower-level graphical modular synthesis tinkering not allowed in the others, but not being so technical as to be daunting, like Reaktor or MAX/MSP

uhajdafdfdfa

pure data is very very similar to max/msp and it is completely free

but maybe you wanted an alternative for different reasons to price? smile

hardcore, Australia

I love Puredata, I used it exclusively for years.

There is nothing it cannot do.

That said, i'm considering buying a max 6 license.

Last edited by godinpants (Aug 3, 2011 12:12 am)

New York, New York
ant1 wrote:

pure data is very very similar to max/msp and it is completely free

but maybe you wanted an alternative for different reasons to price? smile

I had very different reasons to price. As I've looked at Audiomulch, Bidule & Renoise I see a lot I like about all of them.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

puredata smile

New York, New York

I may play with an older copy of MAX/MSP in Mac OS 9 on a older PowerBook G3, provided I can run the older copy of MAX/MSP, reformat the PowerBook G3 with 9, and get the power started up on the PowerBook. wink

New York, New York

I will know anyway having played with the demos Hehe.

Last edited by Esopus-dragon (Aug 3, 2011 1:07 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

also ummm

renoise is nothing like max msp!!!!!!!

hardcore, Australia

I think he meant reaktor

Also my favourite aspect of PD was live patching. Some guys at uni and myself used to set up networks and just patch from scratch, and as you progressed you'd request different data like a clock signal or pitch or anything from someone and they'd patch it through. And it just built into this giant modular jam.

Last edited by godinpants (Aug 3, 2011 2:13 am)

Tacoma WA

mulch

its awesome.  totally stable and made for live fuckery.  but you can do so much more with it as well

hardcore, Australia

There's actually a tetris clone written in pd

New York, New York
ant1 wrote:

also ummm

renoise is nothing like max msp!!!!!!!

A thing I like is the patchable modules, which you can do in Renoise, Bidule & Audiomulch. The way I like things is having things be fun and let daunting with technicals. Yes, I don't want Renoise to be like MAX/MSP.

New York, New York
godinpants wrote:

I think he meant reaktor

Also my favourite aspect of PD was live patching. Some guys at uni and myself used to set up networks and just patch from scratch, and as you progressed you'd request different data like a clock signal or pitch or anything from someone and they'd patch it through. And it just built into this giant modular jam.

I heard some live patching going on in Renoise. It looks fun.

New York, New York
infradead wrote:

mulch

its awesome.  totally stable and made for live fuckery.  but you can do so much more with it as well

Yay Audiomulch!

uhajdafdfdfa

i agree with godinpants you are talking about reaktor????

also if you like to draw lines between effects and synths, try Buzz or psycle !!!

UK

PD, all the way.