Meaning, do you ever pick up your gameboy/console/tracker/DAW/whatever and write a song completely within that without using other instruments as compositional tools? How often do you do this? Do you feel it works for you?

Personally, I've always needed the assistance of some instrument such as a guitar or a piano. Not necessarily for lead melodies (I usually sing/hum those), but definitely in terms of riffs or thick chord voicings. I have however started to try writing completely "inside" and it's bringing some mixed results-some great, some awful. What are your thoughts?

Chicago IL

i rarely do anything outside of what i'm working in, including MIDI controllers.

rochester, ny

when i write solo gameboy stuff, i don't usually feel the need to grab another instrument to help me figure anything out. i just loop the part until it's what i hear in my head.

Last edited by nickmaynard (Aug 3, 2011 6:50 am)

vancouver, canada

when i first start a song, i use my humming voice to determine what key my tune is actually in.

that's about it

Edmonton, Canada

I used to compose ENTIRELY out of medium mainly because when writing music in a DAW format or on LSDJ, i felt overwhelmed by the possibilities and whatever I wrote never felt up to par. Whereas with writing songs on a guitar, I have placed a lot of limits on myself (a mixture of limited technique + desires that i want to see from my songwriting) that helps to create music.

lately i've been trying to place the same limits (mentally) on my chiptune writing process and so far things are looking up...new batch of songs sound better than the last...and the last...and the last...its an arduous process lol big_smile

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

All the time. Apart from some of the time.

Whitley Bay, England

Sometimes, but more often I'll come up with a chord progression from messing around on uke/bass/keys.

uhajdafdfdfa

all the time

i'm not going to lie and say i write everything on piano
i don't write anything on piano
i don't have a piano

Abandoned on Fire

Only that.

Unless you count banging a rhythm on the coffee table.  tongue

Brazil

all the time. When I grab the keyboard or the guitar the song becomes shitty somewhat.

São Paulo, Brazil

when I want to write something very melodical, I use a midi keyboard with ableton or milkytracker. My mind closes when trying to write chords on d-pad or using the Q2W3E4R5T keys.

Madison, Alabama

It depends.  If I'm writing something kind of groove-oriented where the bass and drums are the foundation, I usually just compose it in the tracker.  But if I want something more melodic with a more complex chord progression, I hit the guitar or the piano to start.

Almost all the time.

So far I have a few scraps made in keyboard or playing with guitar, but I mostly only compose in trackers with no other instruments to help me (mostly because I can't actually play them properly lol)

Godzilladelph

what the fuck is a real instrument?

Sydney, NSW
SKGB wrote:

what the fuck is a real instrument?

Brazil

I want some virtual instruments.