USA

Frostbyte - That looks very nice!

Big pieces can seen very overwhelming and take a long time to finish.

Good job!

I like to focus on the rudimentary techniques myself.

You should try something less complicated for your next piece.

The limitations I like to give myself are - use only black and white or use less that 4colors -
and work within a limited space -
usually 8x8pixels, 16x16pixels, 32x32pixels, 128x32pixels(fits within adventure.gb), or 128x128pixels(fits within GlitchNES).

Then if I make something that looks really cool I can easily place it into a GB or NES ROM.

Sometimes giving yourself restraints pushes you to be more creative.

Someone that I look up to once told me "Practice the rudimentary techniques endlessly."

Thanks SurfaceDragon! I'll be sure to keep those tips in mind smile

Was this an alright attempt at pixel art? Haha

Wellington, New Zealand

its alright. The clouds and the moon are the best parts though. That building looks like something that I could do on ms paint 4 years ago though.

What about the plane? I feel like the plane and the clouds are the only parts I did really well.

Wellington, New Zealand

The plane isn't that great. The shading on the wings is really basic.

Should have dithered that? Haha

USA

Take a Zen approach to your artwork and strive for personal fulfillment rather than perfection.

Creativity and emotional content are much more important than any technique.

There really is no such thing as perfection.

Beauty and aesthetics can be perceived in any number of ways.

The fact that you are making a sincere effort is all that is important.

USA

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jul 26, 2011 12:36 am)

Hot damn SD, when are you not making pixels?

Awesome stuff~

USA

When am I not making pixels?

Much more often than you're probably thinking.

I do many things everyday, my life is more hectic than you would expect.

The reason why I spend so much time making art/music and pursuing the things that I'm passionate about is simple -

I suffer from horrible nightmares almost every time I fall asleep.

I focus on the things that I'm passionate about to keep my mind from thinking about my horrible nightmares and I intentionally make myself exhausted so that when I do fall asleep I won't be woken up by nightmares.

I've been suffering from horrible nightmares for over ten years and I don't expect them to stop.

I use to take medication to sleep but I've found that it makes me a stronger/better person to just deal with them without medication.

If I never suffered from horrible nightmares I wouldn't be as talented, creative, or passionate as I am today.

Its strange how something so negative has been such a positive influence on my life.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jul 26, 2011 2:22 am)

Wellington, New Zealand

just do some lucid dreaming. Once you get the hang of it you control your dreams = no more nightmares

USA

Easier said than done.

I've been having horrible nightmares pretty much every time I fall asleep for over ten years.

Don't you think I've already tried everything within my power to alleviate my nightmares?

The best solution I've found so far is to embrace my nightmares as a part of me and shift my focus to the things that I'm passionate about.

My problem isn't life threatening so I don't really need to find an absolute solution to it.

I think staying up all night making art/music has actually made me a better/more interesting person.

And knowing suffering has given me more compassion and has helped me see through other peoples bullshit and lies.

Its probably fate or destiny that I am the way that I am and I look forward to growing as a person in spite of the conditions that I'm in.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Dude, lucid dreaming is freaking awesome. I wish I was actually good at it! And SD, that is actually very deep...I stay up late a lot, and I tend to be more creative during those times.

Hoxton, London UK

A cover I made for Zef's brand new release
which is here btw: http://zef-music.bandcamp.com/

USA

USA