California

I am looking for some sort of audio software that is not a resource hog. What I would love is something that simply works with midi and midi controllers. For instance a piece of software that could control MidiNES and also utilize a midi controller like the monome. That way I could trigger patterns and whatnot from the monome hooked into a tiny little netbook that I have laying around here. Any advice or recommendations are welcome. Just want something lightweight to use on a netbook and then use a midi controller to trigger patterns and control CC messages maybe...  Ableton is just too much of a resource hog for my netbook.

Last edited by Rei Yano (Aug 21, 2011 7:01 am)

Tokyo, Japan

There are very few option that I can think of. Renoise perhaps? It has midi mapping and you can trigger patterns from its matrix but it doesnt map to a launchpad the same way ableton does.

California

yeah I figured this might be kind of a hard thing to find. Wonder how hard it would be just to learn to program in C++ and make a simple Midi based audio program heh...

Or mayhap program in Java so it is cross platform....

Last edited by Rei Yano (Aug 21, 2011 7:14 am)

Tokyo, Japan

probably very.

California

Yeah but shit how awesome would it be?

I will give renoise a shot. Thanks I did not even consider that program.

Last edited by Rei Yano (Aug 21, 2011 7:17 am)

Tokyo, Japan

it would be very very awesome, I would be all over it. But yeah look into Renoise and duplex. It might be possible???

California

sweet. never heard of duplex. I will start with Renoise but dont have the cash for it just yet. I think they have a demo version tho.

maybe Reaper?

California

Oh yeah... Reaper. I will give that one a shot too. The guy that made Winamp made Reaper if memory serves.

Tokyo, Japan

reaper is more kind of mixing / mastering and stuff? not really for live use.

uhajdafdfdfa

just old stuff actually.. old versions of cakewalk or cubase
it's much lighter than the new stuff and also more geard towards external midi since VST and stuff was less of a big deal back then

it's kind of hard to get it LEGITIMATELY since the companies only want to sell you the newest version though

uhajdafdfdfa

also the renoise demo version is identical to the paid version aside from ASIO and rendering (you don't need either of these if yoiu are just doing midi)

Sweeeeeeden

Maybe EnergyXT?

Unsubscribe
an0va wrote:

maybe Reaper?

Ciudad de méxico, MX

seq24

Melbourne

Yeah Seq24 is awesome. I used it for my rave set in March on my netbook, controlling a sampler and sound module. Worked well!

I've also used Reaper as a live controller but it was an entirely pre-programmed set - I'm not sure how well it goes with more live oriented stuff. You could always use it with this:
http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/
and map tracker patterns to midi notes from within Reaper. I haven't tried it yet but it looks amazing. A tracker interface inside a VSTi!