Sydney, NSW

Recently I've been thinking about starting up a netlabel for any style of music, from electronic to acoustic, punk to orchestral, and so on.
I'm looking for artists to sign, either for a few albums/EPs, or more.

I've so far signed four artists and one band, with genres such as rock, chill, ambience, hip-hop, punk and chip.
I'm looking at going diverse and not limiting the label to a particular genre, style, or movement - electronic or not.

Basically, if you sign, your music will be released via the label digitally, either for money, or for free.
I'm also giving every artist the option to release all or some of their stuff on CDs (fancy jewel case, high-qual glossy prints, etc).

I haven't got a site up yet, but the actual downloading and buying will take place via the Bandcamp platform. Everything else (release pages, browsing releases and artists) will be on a separate site.

You can choose the prices of your music (you can give it away for free, if you like), and you will choose whether or not you want to get CDs produced.
This will all cost you nothing. I won't take any cuts from your sales.

You can drop out any time and remove your music from the label whenever you please.

I'm trying to give as much freedom to the artists as possible, while still delivering a fun and useful exerience.

Anybody interested?

Wherever

PM'd you.

PM'd! big_smile

Wellington, New Zealand

iruehjflknjhbuguighu some more people should be on this netlabel

Sydney, NSW
Apricorn wrote:

iruehjflknjhbuguighu some more people should be on this netlabel

Whitley Bay, England

Out of interest, how are the CDs going to be viable, if you're paying for them, but take no money from them?

Also, labels that aren't exclusively chip are cool. BUT, there really needs to be some kinda common thread running through the artists you have signed, so your label has an actual identity.

Good luck with it!

Sydney, NSW
TraceKaiser wrote:

Out of interest, how are the CDs going to be viable, if you're paying for them, but take no money from them?

My parents are loaded.
Plus, I know a guy that can get me somewhat industry-grade materials for cheap. Which is half of why I decided to start this label idea

TraceKaiser wrote:

Also, labels that aren't exclusively chip are cool. BUT, there really needs to be some kinda common thread running through the artists you have signed, so your label has an actual identity.

You make a good point.

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Sep 7, 2011 11:14 am)

Whitley Bay, England

I guess as long as you're taking the money for the actual postage, it shouldn't be too loss-making then! Though it does seem somewhat unsustainable (then again, I guess that depends on how loaded your parents are tongue)

What do you bring to the table that others don't?

There are already so many labels, how is this different?

Last edited by Lossy (Sep 7, 2011 3:31 pm)

Sydney, NSW

I provide the ability to press CDs at no cost to you,

I give you to ability to produce whatever style you feel like you could write some chip one day, some DnB the next - it's all up to you!

I don't take any of your sales profits.

You can either sell or put your releases up for free (I don't know if this is unique or whatever).

IL, US

think he means more along the lines of promotion/hype, tour support, etc... pretty sure no labels in this scene are trying to keep artists exclusive to them so much, and kunaki can handle the cd printing for anyone who feels like using them..

Sydney, NSW
e.s.c. wrote:

think he means more along the lines of promotion/hype, tour support, etc... pretty sure no labels in this scene are trying to keep artists exclusive to them so much.

Yeah, true. I can't really do much in that sense.

e.s.c. wrote:

...kunaki can handle the cd printing for anyone who feels like using them..

LOL

I'm never touching Kunaki with a ten-foot pole. The site on the buyer's end is waaaaaay too broken (refer to: lack of A FUCKING PURCHASE BUTTON).

IL, US

i dont know, seems to work just fine for some people on this site who have used kunaki

Westfield, NJ
Chainsaw Police wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

think he means more along the lines of promotion/hype, tour support, etc... pretty sure no labels in this scene are trying to keep artists exclusive to them so much.

Yeah, true. I can't really do much in that sense.

Yeah I have to say, having someone cover the costs of printing CDs and such is cool but what everyone really wants is to play more shows. That's the only reason I joined a label.

PM'd wink

How would you go about directing traffic to the site?