Sydney, NSW

I picked up a Megadrive today, and I was wondering what flash carts or similar I could build/purchase in place of the Everdrive-MD ($80 is a little north of my budget at the moment).
I saw little-scale posted a tut for a cheap and terribly simple Master System flash cart a while back. I need something for the MD though.

And while I'm here, recommend me some music tools (on- and off-console). The last time I did anything with a Megadrive was play Sonic and Columns when I was five or six years old.

Brazil

Deflemask and VGM Music Maker!

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Sep 11, 2011 5:07 pm)

ad-hell-aide

I'm going to have some MD cart PCBs made in the next week or two - once again, it's something that is "terribly simple" but for me it does the job. I can get an extra PCB or two made for you if you would like.

ad-hell-aide

PS > For your uses, obviously the memory chips would be socketed.

ad-hell-aide

This might also be of interest to you: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? … ucts_id=67

Sydney, NSW

little-scale, you are an amazing man.

All I need is something to hold a ROM - this'll probably be something simple like a VGM playback ROM, or an on-console tracker (if tey even exist for the MD).

Will I be able to refash ROMS? If so, what kinda interface will be available?
Will it be cheap? I might order about three, haha.

ad-hell-aide

You would need an eprom / eeprom / flash programmer to reprogram the chips for my super-simple cart - it's made to just hold a ROM, after all - and not function to be a dev cart proper as such. Perhaps you have one already? If not, it will cost about $80, so it's not a viable alternative just for this.

Otherwise, just go with the Tototek cart...

New York City

What would the problem be with the Everdrive? I think it's a great cart. The Tototek is only 20 dollars less.

ad-hell-aide

Yeah, it looks like a great cart. Personally, I would buy the Everdrive over the Tototek - given the choice. Having said this, I own the Tototek cart and I've been happy with it. Keep in mind that you need a parallel port etc for the Tototek ones.

Last edited by little-scale (Sep 12, 2011 1:18 am)

Sydney, NSW
akira^8GB wrote:

What would the problem be with the Everdrive?

The pricing isn't exactly satisfactory at this point in time for me.

little-scale wrote:

You would need an eprom / eeprom / flash programmer to reprogram the chips for my super-simple cart - it's made to just hold a ROM, after all - and not function to be a dev cart proper as such.

That's fair enough. I was kinda expecting you to mention a flash programmer, haha.

I'll still be able to run a simple music player on it though, right?

little-scale wrote:

Keep in mind that you need a parallel port etc for the Tototek ones.

Yyyyyyep, that singles out the Tototek cart for me.

So far it looks like I'll be forking out for a flash programmer and one of little-scale's MD carts.
Along with that and his Megadrive MIDI interface, I'll be set for good tongue

Liverpool, UK

So instead of an $80 everdrive, you're going to buy a $80 programmer AND a cart?

wat

ad-hell-aide

*shrug*

Sydney, NSW
calmdownkidder wrote:

So instead of an $80 everdrive, you're going to buy a $80 programmer AND a cart?

wat

I'm sure one of my mates or my IT teacher has a flash programmer lying around anyway.
Plus, If I wanna buy another in the future (which I can definitely see myself doing), I'll only need one programmer for all carts.

Also little-scale, I'll be glad to beta test a cart for you tongue

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Sep 13, 2011 11:55 am)