Hi, I'm Tyler, and I like 8bit/chiptune. I've been listening to peeps like Shirobon! and Sabrepulse, Anamanaguchi, etc... and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I'm supposed to do and what I need to know to make 8bit music with physical devices.

I have VisualBoyAdvance and I am using an LSDJ rom to create tunes but, what do I need to do to get my hands on actual physical equipment, and what should I be using?

I'm just a lost boy tryina find his way.

Unsubscribe

Sup.

Rhode Island

Welcome!

Just search the forums. You aren't the first one that asked that question

England

I'd just continue using visualboyadvance for now if i were youuuuuuuuuuuu.
Move on do hardware when you have read as much as possible and feel more comfortable with the medium.

USA

DMG + Flash cart(I use the EMS 64m carts and I've also heavily modified my DMGs)

Pro-Sound mod in an easy first mod to do to your Game Boy, its pretty much essential if you want to record because it reduces unwanted noise and really improves the sound of the recording.

(http://store.kitsch-bent.com/ is where I get my flash carts and I highly recommend Kitsch-bent for their amazing customer service)

Also I would recomend the emulator BGB and you might want to invest some type of controller so you don't have to constantly be using your computer's keyboard.

And also check out this software - http://www.mediafire.com/surfacedragon

I like to write songs with LSDJ using my computer(with BGB and a wired xbox360 controller) because my computer has a large screen that's easy to read and the xbox360 controller is comfortable to navigate LSDJ with. Then I take the LSDJ save file containing the song(or whatever I want to record) and flash it to one of my 64m cartridges so I can record using real hardware.

If you ever need advice/help or custom/modified software don't hesitate to ask, I am a busy person but I'll do my best to help you out.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Sep 16, 2011 2:10 am)

SurfaceDragon wrote:

DMG + Flash cart(I use the EMS 64m carts and I've also heavily modified my DMGs)

Pro-Sound mod in an easy first mod to do to your Game Boy, its pretty much essential if you want to record because it reduces unwanted noise and really improves the sound of the recording.

(http://store.kitsch-bent.com/ is where I get my flash carts and I highly recommend Kitsch-bent for their amazing customer service)

Also I would recomend the emulator BGB and you might want to invest some type of controller so you don't have to constantly be using your computer's keyboard.

And also check out this software - http://www.mediafire.com/surfacedragon

I like to write songs with LSDJ using my computer(with BGB and a wired xbox360 controller) because my computer has a large screen that's easy to read and the xbox360 controller is comfortable to navigate LSDJ with. Then I take the LSDJ save file containing the song(or whatever I want to record) and flash it to one of my 64m cartridges so I can record using real hardware.

If you ever need advice/help or custom/modified software don't hesitate to ask, I am a busy person but I'll do my best to help you out.

Or you could use Famitracker, VGM Music Maker, Milkytracker, Openmpt, Schism Tracker, Klystrack, or any other of the free programs out there. Have a look at this thread http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … hip-music/

Remember there are more ways to make chipmusic than a GameBoy.

San Francisco
Jellica wrote:

I'd just continue using visualboyadvance for now if i were youuuuuuuuuuuu.
Move on do hardware when you have read as much as possible and feel more comfortable with the medium.

IL, US

at what point does reminding people there are more options than the game boy become more overdone than using a game boy itself?

Philly, PA, USA

everyone has been making good points, that you don't need hardware. but just saying, from personal experience, I know it has been easier for me to get comfortable making music in a dedicated environment (hardware that doesn't have the internet and a bunch of other shit). Definitely experiment with other programs, I know I started with LSDJ, but it's not really for me I don't think. Check out the other software, and even non chip software, because I know that while trackers are great, it does not work for the way I think most of the time.

that thought might be half finished but I forgot I was writing for a half hour, so deal.

e.s.c. wrote:

at what point does reminding people there are more options than the game boy become more overdone than using a game boy itself?

It just seems like everyone that's new to chipmusic just assumes the GameBoy is the only way to make chip and they have to buy hardware. I wasn't being an elitest, although that's a personal fault I need to work on, just trying to be informative and maybe save the guy some money. smile

pixls wrote:

everyone has been making good points, that you don't need hardware. but just saying, from personal experience, I know it has been easier for me to get comfortable making music in a dedicated environment (hardware that doesn't have the internet and a bunch of other shit).

It's the exact opposite for me. I can only make music on a computer, plus the internet gives me a nice break.

USA

I just found out about this - http://www.misadigital.com/index.php?ta … mp;lang=en

Its kind-of like the Yamaha EZ-guitars but newer and more advanced.

Its called a Kitara and its made by a company in Hong Kong called Misa Digital Instruments.

I want one.

This thing would be awesome for making electronic music.

But its way too expensive(at about $1000) and I don't really trust brand new products.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Sep 16, 2011 5:54 am)

sweden

SurfaceDragon: Ehhhh... wrong thread?

USA

TYLERJOHNS asked for hardware suggestions and stated that he uses LSDJ so I gave him my suggestions for hardware to use with LSDJ in my first post.

Then Rouwe stated that there are more ways to make Chipmusic than a GameBoy so I thought it would be OK to post something about the Kitara.

The Kitara is a killer piece of hardware and it would be an awesome tool for creating electronic/chip-style-music.

I think the Kitara has a place in this thread but anyway...

I'll shut up and not post anything else, I was just trying to be helpful.

Sydney, NSW
SurfaceDragon wrote:

Pro-Sound... is pretty much essential if you want to record because it reduces unwanted noise and really improves the sound of the recording.

leave

now

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Sep 16, 2011 8:22 am)

England

Can you, erm, elaborate on your eloquent words a little, CP?

Only I can't see anything incorrect or wrong with what SD said.

Czech republic

I think he's trying to say that this is not the case when pro-sound is essential.