Finland

Hi!

So I got parts to build my Arduinoboy, finally. Problem is that it seems that midi doesnt go in.. on mGB-mode all the right channel leds blink correctly with notes sent to channels 1,2,3 and 4. Also in LSDJ sync mode the leds blink correctly. mGB doesnt say anything, and LSDJ doesnt start when set as slave.

LSDJ works as master correctly, so the problem is somewhere either in midi input (although the data goes to the leds correctly?) or gameboys cable, right? My cable was a Nyko cable (those purple ones) so it doesnt have 5V power in it. I'm using Arduino (battery powered) 5V input to power my breadboard version. but if the gb cable can send the sync out, it should be ok too? Or how is the cables data divided to pins? Is it possible that only one or two of them is working and not all three that should be connected to my Arduino board? All the parts should be as in the official instructions, besides my led resistors that are 2.05 kOhm instead of 2k.

I followed as closely as possible the official google project- page and this: http://2playermusic.tumblr.com/post/703 … arduinoboy (I used the .png there as my main instructions since other pics in flickr were outdated and I'm not too good at reading schematics).

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by DKSTR (Sep 25, 2011 10:48 pm)

Finland

And yeah, I've checked the optoisolator already, if I flip it, the leds wont flash when midi is sent in.. also I think its the same thing with midi in wires, if I flip them, no leds.

Sweeeeeeden

Check the connection for the SIN pin, as indicated below. It's needed for transferring data, but not for simple sync. This line is used for feeding data to the Gameboy. When unconnected, the Gameboy just receives all bits as high. This is fine for sync, whereLSDj just needs to know a transfer took place, but not for MIDI/keyboard modes where you need the actual data.

As far as I can tell from your description, everything else is working fine. Edit 2: Or not... But your problem is in the connection of the link cable, at least.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Sep 25, 2011 11:05 pm)

Finland

Ok, thanks! I'll try to figure out whats going on, I tried to check the cable colors from the jack but I guess I could have made a mistake.

Finland

Ok, still no luck. I double checked link cables wiring and I'm 100% sure that I know which one is SIN, SOUT, GND and SCK. LSDJ as master works, also I got Slave-mode working for a while at least. Sometimes after yesterdays tinkering when I try to cycle the modes it gets stuck after mode 5, when I push the button I see the 3 leds flash, then I push it again it flashes all and after that nothing. Also sometimes the BPM jumps crazy on Ableton Live when LSDJ is master.

Can my problems be about powering or is faulty parts? Both ends transfer the sync to board at least. Frustrating as I got this mainly for mGB, heh.

Los Angeles

neither.

Do you have all of the wires connected on the link cable? both the SIN and SOUT should to be connected regardless of mode.

Finland

Theres 4 wires in my Nyko-cable , SIN, SOUT, SCK and Ground. Do I have to connect ground to the board even when the power isnt coming from GB? I think I tried that already too..

Los Angeles

Yes it needs ground.

Finland

Ok, this is fucking crazy, it seems it was a piece of bad wire or bad contact on my breadboard.. now everything works just fine. Thanks  for help everyone, hope this helps some poor soul later on.