New York City

i used to know exactly what I wanted when building a PC, but nowadays, I am baffled at the amount of choices. Still, I have re-learned what's out there and I have made a decision on what I want.

I am trying to build a system based on an Atom processor. I have these two in mind:

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=35641,43098,

I have built a 330 system for my parents and I gotta admit is fucking faster than I expected. I tried it with Ableton Live and it outperforms my expectations by far. But I am not sure about the advantages of the D510. What exactly are those bloody extensions, SSE2, SSE3,SSSE3, for? I never understood that, or if I want them. The motherboard from Intel with the 330 is a bit more packed than teh D510 one, but I couldn't care less about that.

Which one would be more apt to run OS X?

I could really recommend a setup like this,it consumes very little power, it's silent, and leads to the possibility of small, transportable units.

Any help appreciated regarding this matter!

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 28, 2010 2:50 am)

Central Pennsyltucky

I'm running Osx on an atom now. I love it, but Apple has killed off Atom support in Snow Leopard
to prevent the whole Hackintosh thing. It'll get patched, but likely never run as smoothly as 10.6.1

Not sure if you use it, but Quartz composer is also a no- go on Atoms. They are all about power saving, which is counter to the quartz drivers.

I'm having a lot of happiness with the AMD 64 x2 on my main machine.

New York City

Snow Leopard, actually, Leopard, is a piece of shit. I suffer it every day at work. I'll be happy with Tiger.
I do use  Quartz. it's also bad on a 330 system? Wouldn't it work if I have a proper videocard? (this motherboard has a slot for a proper videocard with shaders and whatnot)

Sweeeeeeden
akira^8GB wrote:

Snow Leopard, actually, Leopard, is a piece of shit. I suffer it every day at work. I'll be happy with Tiger.

Care to elaborate?

New York City

Performance issues (slow as FUCK), problems networking with Windows computers, RETARDED Spotlight system (doesn't find shit unless you have an indexed drive, gets confused, even if you choose NOT to search certain items, IT SEARCHES FOR THEM, Tiger's search worked fine), STUPID iconography (badly designed, all folders look the same), incompatibility with some software....

And before you say I have a shit computer, I am running this on a Mac Pro with 4 cores and 8GB of RAM tongue

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 28, 2010 3:57 pm)