Matthew Joseph Payne

PulsewaveSF will be at the East Bay Mini Maker Faire in Oakland, CA on October 16th - and boy howdy do we have a lot to offer. Aside from the usual performances by local chipmusic luminaries as well as the return of our blue ribbon-winning chip hardware demo table from the big ol' San Mateo Maker Faire, we'll be showing off the basics of hardware modding commonly done to enhance old video game consoles for making music!

First off, check out the Little Piggy Tracker workshop where Starpause and E.N. Cowell will teach you how to get free, sample based music sequencer running on your PSP, gp32 or gp3x, and get you started making music! Learn how to get the software up and running on your hardware and get started pumping the jams in no time! Feel free to bring your own handheld console hardware, but pre-loaded hardware will also be provided.

We'll also have gameboy flash cartridges and a wide range of parts available for sale at our diy modding table where you can learn how to do a number of mods to your original gameboys including adding backlights, improving the audio output level, changing the gameboy's clock speed for pitch effects, and more! Although we'll have a limited number of gameboys for sale, you are encouraged to bring your own for the dismantling. We'll have parts for sale courtesy of kitsch-bent.com

If that weren't enough, all day long the PulsewaveSF Stage will feature performances by local chip acts, with live visuals provided by a range of visual artists. Just some of the acts performing on October 16th:
The Glowing Stars (chiptune rock)
Starpause (bootie-shakin' LPGT/Nanoloop tunes)
A Rival (8-bit hip-hop)
Doctor Popular (chill jams made entirely with iOS devices)

Last but not least, come check out our demo table and get hands on experience making music and visuals with the Commodore64, Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo Game Boy, Sega Game Gear and more...

Buy tickets NOW, and use discount code PULSEWAVESF to get 20% off on tickets - and enjoy the entire Faire!
http://ebmakerfaire2011.eventbrite.com
http://ebmakerfaire.wordpress.com
http://www.pulsewave.org/SF
http://www.kitsch-bent.com

Last edited by kineticturtle (Oct 10, 2011 6:14 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Confirmed performances so far -

The Glowing Stars
A_Rival
Starpause
E. N. Cowell
Louis Gorenfeld
Doctor Popular
The Dualies
Jahonymous

There's room for one more, and we also have a special guest, circuit bender Kevin Smith. I don't know anything about him, but his stuff sounds pretty cool.

I also have room at the end of the schedule for a jam session. Honestly, I don't entirely know what that means, but I want to get newbies to chipmusic onstage fiddling with the hardware. Maybe it will crash and burn, not quite sure. I know I'll have fun, for one. smile

Matthew Joseph Payne

THIS IS TOMORROW

OH GOD I HAVE SO MUCH LEFT TO DO

COME ON OUT! big_smile

Oh apparently I haven't made this entirely clear - but since I'm TEACHING GAMEBOY MODS at this thing, I'm encouraging people to BRING THEIR OWN UNMODDED GAMEBOYS. Or ones that you've tried to mod and had trouble.

I'll even do/teach a GBC frontlight if you also bring your own Advance SP. wink

Matthew Joseph Payne

THIS IS TODAY

it's gonna be SO MUCH FUN

do NOT MISS IT

that is ALL

Matthew Joseph Payne

THIS WAS TODAY

it was SO MUCH FUN

Pretty good turn out, LOTS of outreach. Starpause and E.N. Cowell had a decent sized but very serious following at their Piggy Tracker workshop, tons of people were asking questions about the hardware and software, trying stuff out at the table. Lots of great comments on the performances. Fantastic sets by everyone - new material from Doc Pop and A_Rival, great visuals by Mister Scradam, Max Capacity and Starpause... hard work by everyone. 12+ hour day, well worth it.

A_Rival brought a photographer who documented the whole event, so photos soon.

San Francisco

fun. shit. it was a good day.