Westfield, NJ

I know it's a bit early to ask, but I want to go to SXSW next year (it will be my first time) and I am wondering if there are any chip events going on during that time or if any chip artists have shows / slots lined up. What's the story?

Godzilladelph

buy me plane tickets and i'll follow you around, serenading your ears with gameboy bass jams

Unsubscribe

I moving to austin in 3 weeks, but if anyone wants to do a non southby event, id be interested.

Last edited by herr_prof (Nov 4, 2011 6:16 pm)

Wilmington,NC

That sounds swell. I'm hoping for the same.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

There's always tons of shit

Michigan

i was just about to ask this as well. we would like to play a few shows if possible.

peter, we will be in touch if youre going to put something on!

Unsubscribe

Im retired from the show running industry.. but id help where i can!

buffalo, NY

I applied for a showcase, god knows if I'll get it.  But I'll only be there if I get approved for "sanctioned" bullshit

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

datapop?

lolusa

I think it's safe to say anyone would play datapop.

PDX

Last I heard theres no Datapop in sight, which I hope changes soon.

Ive worked SXSW the last two years and I haven't heard of any chip events, which I also hope changes. Seems like all chip activity occurs outside of Austin for some weird reason.

Westfield, NJ

Datapop may as well be Blip Austin.

http://www.thehighball.com/events/datapop-3-0/

And I'm pretty sure it won't be happening next year... didn't the venue cancel it indefinitely for some reason?

PDX

Yeah, at least it was shaping up to be like Blip.

I used to work at the Highball and I heard from one of the managers there that Datapop is cancelled indefinitely and I ranted about it on 8bc but Bit Shifter replied and said his roommate organizes Datapop and hadn't heard anything about Datapop being cancelled so I have no idea.

Brooklyn NY US

My roommate & I have been traveling a lot over the last 2 months (independently of one another) as part of our respective Busy Lifestyles™, but on a rare evening last month when we were both home I asked him about this in passing and he said flatly that the Datapop event series is not cancelled. Don't know more than that, but it sounded pretty definitive to me, and since he is very good friends with Tim (of the Alamo Drafthouse / Highball), personally I am taking it as such. Sounds like hope is not lost.

PDX

That's good then. Now I'm just wondering what the fuck my manager was talking about then. Maybe there'll be another venue or something. One thing was apparent from my time at The Highball; every staff member there loathes Datapop, which makes any future chip event at the Highball pretty jaded. I was almost embarrassed to admit I like chip music hmm

Brooklyn NY US

My reaction upon hearing that is still pretty "WTF" — I absolutely can't imagine Datapop is in any way more challenging, more difficult, or more frustrating to contend with than any other live event that the Highball (or any other venue) might host. Maybe staff just hates dealing with SXSW mobs in general, having less to do with Datapop specifically? Anyway, I guess haters gonna hate, sorry to hear Datapop was such an inexplicably horrible thorn in their side.