Philly, PA, USA

So I know there's always been a "CONVERT LSDJ SAV 2 MP3" thread every so often, but I'm thinking this might be a little different.

So with nanoloop for iphone/android I know you can copy these .nan files to the computer and use a small program to convert said files to a .wav

Now that Oliver is making these USB adaptors to backup nanoloop 1.6 and 2.5 carts I have a couple of questions.

First of all, what files does it use? Is it the same .sav or something like it, or does it create .nan type files for each bank?

Second, does anyone think (or know) if it would be possible or likely to see another similar program that could possibly export .wavs from said backup files? Or better yet, export samples or loops from each slot.

I know there are problems considering that while the phone versions of nanoloop are just computer programs the handheld versions use actual hardware chips to create sounds, but I'm just kind of wondering if this is a possible or likely sort of thing. (Oliver?)

Abandoned on Fire

A more likely scenario is USB adapter output -> GB emulator -> export as WAV

Since the output would just be instructions for the GB processor, I assume, or possibly a combination of processor and cart hardware.

Last edited by egr (Nov 4, 2011 10:10 pm)

Philly, PA, USA

Yeah, nanoloop, from what I hear, works kind of weirdly though, so who knows, I guess..
I'm really just hoping for some way to get my separate loops more easily, because I'm lazy.

IL, US
egr wrote:

A more likely scenario is USB adapter output -> GB emulator -> export as WAV

Since the output would just be instructions for the GB processor, I assume, or possibly a combination of processor and cart hardware.

ive tested this before with a nanoloop 2.3 backup, works fine...
as far as file type: in nanoloop 2.x, the saved data goes in the rom itself

With the USB-adaptor, you can back up banks from/to nanoloop 2.5 and 1.6 and save them as files on the PC. They are not SAVs because nanoloop's memory has a different structure than the ususal SRAM (flash with some rudimentary sector management). Currently there are no plans for any further file management / conversion tools.
To get a WAV, you need to record from the device. Since nanoloop 2.x is a pure softsynth, it would be relatively easy to write a WAV converter for nanoloop 2.5 files, I may integrate one into the USB PC software one day. For 1.6 files, a converter would have to emulate the Game Boy sound chip. I certainly won't write an emulator.

Due to a bug in the PC software, you currently can't send back 2.5 banks to the cart (it forgets to send the checksum, nanoloop can receive the file but will refuse to save it). This will be corrected soon.

Philly, PA, USA
oliver wrote:

Since nanoloop 2.x is a pure softsynth, it would be relatively easy to write a WAV converter for nanoloop 2.5 files, I may integrate one into the USB PC software one day.

That would be super cool, particularly if you could export individual channels/loops big_smile