Gosford, Australia

Anybody had much experience with these?

Wikipedia says it's slightly bigger than a pocket, but I'm guessing the guts are more or less the same as a GBP except with a built in backlight; would I be right in guessing that?

I'm acquiring one soon just cause I think it's a cool thing to have, it'd be nice to use for music stuff but I've been told that pockets drain the SRAM battery from the 64M EMS carts much quicker than a DMG.

matt's mind

the light is essentially a pocket with a built in EL backlight.  the inverter used in the circuit is a bit noisy, thats one thing to consider re: musicmaking...

but, yeah, you're right.  pocket+EL is a 'light'.

the EMS/pocket/battery thing is sort of up in the air now...  EMS still isnt' officially supportive of the pocket, although their PCB revisions have fixed the problem everyone used to have.  my opinion they're fine to use now with the later PCB revisions, but not with the earlier ones.  on the EMS PCB, the revisions 10 and 11 (11 is what its at right now) seem to work fine and i've gotten no bad reports.  they switched to revision 10 with the batch '1006A' which was a big change in the feedback for those carts...

(too much cart info, i know)

Unsubscribe

I never noticed a problem with mine and the bleepbloopcart. I have  a heavily used one i could sell for cheap if you wanted to refurb it...

Gosford, Australia

Augh, you guys are fantastic! Never too much cart info coming from you, Kitsch. Gotta know your product smile

If that's a heavily used GBL you're talking about herr, PM me a price and I'll probably say "OK"!

Milwaukee, WI

Whatever happened to EL back light kits?

matt's mind

i am emailing someone in another tab right now (really) about the final details of the samples from them.  the PCBs have been done, for two months i think...  they're sitting in a bag on the shelf, static bagged and waiting.  its sad...

the source i was using for panels before sort of disappeared.  didn't loose out on anything, just time and convenience of having everything worked out.

two places are sending me samples, they'll all be here in the next two weeks.  i just need to assure the specs on their materials works with the circuit i've done.

Cleveland, OH

Another little note. They are taller and thicker.
The power switch has 3 positions. Off, on and on with backlight.
So you can choose to have the light on or not. It may sound better with it off.
Also, it takes AA batteries.

Gosford, Australia

Ahh, groovy. Thanks Justin!

@Kitsch: Once they're available, are there any particular advantages to installing an EL backlight as opposed to the LED variety?

matt's mind

they're completely even.  there is no hotspotting or anything, they look really nice.

the disadvantage is that they require circuitry, the led backlights do not.

San Francisco

yeah i like em. they are noisy but they are a nice no hassle way to have a working night gameboy. there is all the gba sps and what not but it is just way more comfortable.

Argentina

Little than Color, bigger than Pocket.
2 AA batteries that runs like 10 hours.
Little noise with light on.
But is very comfortable for edit.
I have one and I love it smile