i purchased an ems cart, and followed the instructions on installing drivers, but it isnt recognized by my pc. when i plug it in a message appears saying unidentified usb blah blah blah. when i open the gb_ems program, in the bottom left is a message saying device disconnected. im not sure what to do because it isnt connecting to the blank card itself. thanks for any hel.

matt's mind

a couple quick things to check (the common things):

- make sure you're using a usb port directly on your comp. (no peripheral devices)
- try switching the usb port you are using, or an alternative usb cable you may have.  strange, but it works sometimes.
- make sure you're using the correct dirvers for your system, there are based off your operating system type. 
- try restarting in-between the major steps in the process.  this will force a system registry file update and seems to help a lot of installs.
- don't do ANY auto-install on the drivers.  ever.  its all manual, you'll need to direct the prompt to the correct area each time.  if you use auto-install at all, you'll need to erase those particular *.sys and *.inf files, and start again with fresh ones. 
- don't have the cart in teh gameboy with the usb cable plugged in.  not at the same time... 
- place the *.sys and *.inf files on your computer where the majority of similar filetypes are.  and then use the DSEO software on them there (if you are using 64bit that is).  use the DSEO software on the files where they'll remain, this tends for a better install.  i think the files are /System32/drivers and /System32, i can't remember, i'm not on a win comp right now or else i'd look.  but, just look for all the *.sys and *.inf files in that general area. 

that should get you started

* this could be the beginning of a good general EMS troubleshooting thread...

If you don't like using the DSEO software (I know I don't) you can optionally mash F8 on your computer while it boots and when you get to the config screen choose "disable unsigned driver protection" or some-such. You have to do it every time you start up your computer, but I don't do cartridge dumps too often so it's worth it for me.

The Central Coast, Australia
Zef wrote:

If you don't like using the DSEO software (I know I don't) you can optionally mash F8 on your computer while it boots and when you get to the config screen choose "disable unsigned driver protection" or some-such. You have to do it every time you start up your computer, but I don't do cartridge dumps too often so it's worth it for me.

So will this allow me to run the drivers on my pc running windows 7? I am so sick of having to use friends computers to dump and such.