San Angelo, TX

Ok so when i was doing the 48 hour challenge with solar bear one of my modded DMG's started acting a little bitchy.
Heres what happens:
-When i turn on the gameboy the screens' contrast goes wild from the lightest to the darkest contrast by itself!
-Sometimes it will start the nintendo bootlogo and actually work fine (about1 every 5 times)
-When i plug in RCA cables into the Gameboys rca outs at the top, the gameboys screen will scratch horizontal lines across the screen (like a blank channel on a tv) then the screen will come on.
-when i plug any kind of input (1/8, xbox 360 headset input or rca ins) the screen will come on
-when i unplug the rca's, the screen goes wild again
I have not done anything different with gameboy in the past few days than i normally wouldnt do. I always take good, good care of it! THIS ISNT THE GB I MODDED, it is one i bought a while back from (greightbit) i think? or maybe it was gamersconnect! to be honest i dont remember! I would fix it myself, but at the moment i am living with my freind and i dont have acces to an iron or guage wire. I asked a guy i knew who is into robotics if he could get down and fix it, but he isnt sure what the problem is. Neither am I, i guess.
I almost dont have any money, but if someone is down to fix it for free! Like just open it and resolder what evers broken, or fix the short or whatever. Thats be fine with me. Id pay the postage back and forth.
PS: I know that horizontal lines most of the time mean death, but honestly i feel like this is fixable)

Hoping that jazz and ASM read this as they are the go-to guys for this kind of stuff!
Pics posted soon!

Matthew Joseph Payne

I'm assuming you've tried fresh batteries? Sounds like stuff is shorting out, but hard to say what without poking inside.

The first thing you should do is figure out who you bought it from and ask them if they have any thoughts, or if they'll look at it. They may even remember the unit!

Otherwise, if you can pay for all the shipping, I'd be down to look at it, but I must warn that I'm a pretty busy dude atm. I'm easing my way into vacation this week though, so it wouldn't take all that long. smile

Ciudad de méxico, MX
Screamforme99 wrote:

-When i plug in RCA cables into the Gameboys rca outs at the top, the gameboys screen will scratch horizontal lines across the screen (like a blank channel on a tv) then the screen will come on.
-when i plug any kind of input (1/8, xbox 360 headset input or rca ins) the screen will come on
-when i unplug the rca's, the screen goes wild again

bad soldering on the mod. something is bridged.

Last edited by Analog (Dec 5, 2011 6:12 pm)

Following up on what Analog said,

The pro sound mods are likely shorting out somewhere. Could be the RCA jacks.

My best guess would be that when you're plugging something in, you're changing the flow of electricity.  Current likes to follow the path with the least resistance and this could be temporarily suppressing the short.

That's just a guess, I could be completely wrong. Seeing the guts would definitely help determine the problem.

Rhode Island

Could have cut a wire when screwing the two halves  back together. take it apart and check the connections. May be able to use electrical tape to fix it till you get your hands on an iron again

San Angelo, TX

alright guys, im going to try to make a gut pic, hold on!