New York City

Enough said, by Peter Swimm.

Westfield, NJ

Yep.

San Antonio, Texas

totally agree...

...but...

...I'm not up to take on the local music scene that has a more established fan base with my shitty chip music.

Last edited by Star Fighter Dreams (Dec 9, 2011 4:25 am)

Dublin, IN

You guys are lucky. You have chip scenes AND normal music scenes. In my small town, unless you want to play metal, you practically have to violate people to get them to listen to anything local, let alone something as Avante-Garde as chiptune.
/end rant

sweden

well said.

Last edited by nordloef (Dec 9, 2011 4:42 am)

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

TRUE CHIP TILL DEATH?

Sydney, NSW
Crooked Sidewalks wrote:

something as Avante-Garde as chiptune.

heh

Unsubscribe
Star Fighter Dreams wrote:

totally agree...

...but...

...I'm not up to take on the local music scene that has a more established fan base with my shitty chip music.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Terrible show experiences are the dues you pay to become a great performer.

Unsubscribe

BTW here is how I curate the PERFECT CHIP NIGHT

Act 1 - Impressive act with fan base that would come out and check him out
Act 2 - Under the radar badass who compliments act 1
Act 3 - Up and coming newster who is great but no one knows it yet.

Make sure the Open mic is tight and early. More for the heads, not for the casuals.

It would be great to see chip nights switch up act 1 or 2 with breakcore, punk rock, dubstep, electro, hiphop whatever of any complimentary focus.

Finland
herr_prof wrote:

BTW here is how I curate the PERFECT CHIP NIGHT

Act 1 - Impressive act with fan base that would come out and check him out
Act 2 - Under the radar badass who compliments act 1
Act 3 - Up and coming newster who is great but no one knows it yet.

Make sure the Open mic is tight and early. More for the heads, not for the casuals.

It would be great to see chip nights switch up act 1 or 2 with breakcore, punk rock, dubstep, electro, hiphop whatever of any complimentary focus.

Yeah, true on all parts. I've played some of my most memorable (Dkstr & Videovalvontaa) shows with punk and rock bands. Usually they are in to other stuff too, it's more about how you present it and your music. Then its no use to hide behind gimmick-ery instruments or retro imagenery, just play songs with right attitude. and those guys have equipment failures on stage as much as chiptune people. And they play uncomplete songs too. Then again, on chiptune scene I've had the honour to be Act 2 / 3 for Bit Shifter, 8GB, Goto80.. so I've been lucky!

San Diego, CA

down here in San Diego, we've kind of had the opposite problem. there's a pretty nice burgeoning electronic scene and a really good indie electronic/rock scene, and for the last year I've been playing gigs with some pretty great acts that both live and tour here!

the problem is that it's hard to overcome that predominant attitude of one-off-ness that we seem to get around here. it's not that people don't enjoy chipmusic or think that it's childish or whatever, but it's really hard to get anyone to "stick" to an artist, much less a style, because not only are we competing with the more established indie acts, but we also have everybody and their brother DJing top-40/electro house every night.

normally I'd be way into simply getting into one of those nights (and I'm not ruling it out), but the promoters and the people running those nights are kind of assholes in that they're totally the kind of people that make you sell tickets to claim your spot on that night (sell less than 50 tickets and you're not playing). and there also seems to be this attitude of dog-eat-dog with the electronic scene here, simply because there are so many acts that JUST DJ.

That's kind of why I've always thought we needed at least a bi-monthly here in San Diego. it's going to be a pain in the ass to promote, but if we can get a small audience to come out to an all-chip show, then I think we have a shot at making a statement in the scene at large. and it's happened before! there have been two all-chip shows that have been really great in the last year, showing us that there's at least an audience willing to listen! all we need to do is get that audience from "willing to listen" to "really wanting to listen."

Dublin, IN
Chainsaw Police wrote:
Crooked Sidewalks wrote:

something as Avante-Garde as chiptune.

heh

You have no idea how lucky you are to be able to take that lightly.

BK
herr_prof wrote:
Star Fighter Dreams wrote:

totally agree...

...but...

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Terrible show experiences are the dues you pay to become a great performer.

Totally. There will be bad shows. I don't think any live act who's played more than a handful of shows could possibly say otherwise. Everything will go wrong. Learn from the mistakes/mishaps and bad situations and soldier on. It'll be worth it.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Perfect text.

I play with electronic artists, between electro producers and weird noise acts. Everytime I play live I learn new tricks, i can't recommend you more to play lots of live performances everywhere, at any cost. I've all sorts of responses, from blowing the soundsystem, getting kicked out of the stage, total rave rock diva status and satanic headbanging. Just do your stuff everywhere you are, and rock out.

Chicago
herr_prof wrote:

to feel like a LOCALS ONLY Hardcore night.

I love locals only hardcore nights. I love Denver's hardcore scene, but I love hardcore... I digress.

This is exactly what I needed to hear right now. Thank you everyone for their input on the subject. I'll be keeping all this in mind.

New York City
DKSTR wrote:

its no use to hide behind gimmick-ery instruments or retro imagenery

I think this is what happens with most of the people who have entered "chipmusic" in recent times (2007 onward?). It's all about this. some times I found acts that detriment their good music by basing their "sales pitch" entirely on this gimmicky bullshit tht has grown old long ago.

And then the forgiveness aforementioned gives them a frame of leniency that is no good in forming as a proper musician who performs live. The only way you can possibly become good at that is by playing the most varied crowds possible, and have as many rough situations as possible too.

PS: DKSTR you were number 1 in Riga last October wink

Last edited by akira^8GB (Dec 10, 2011 12:45 pm)