Godzilladelph

PHILLY CHIP REPRESENT

not to get off topic or anything, but what the fuck IS dance music?
If I'm in the right mood, I can throw down to just about anything at any bpm, even if the time signature is "weird" or whatever. I just don't get it, is there supposed to be some sort of fucking music that you're only allowed to dance to, and the rest is shit you're supposed to just lie down with headphones on and pass out to? Fuck that, dance is a state of mind, not a fucking genre

Unsubscribe

yea but dance music sucks.

Gosford, Australia

i've only ever heard the term "dance music" used as a blanket term for all forms of techno, trance and house music. which is fine, really. better than when people call any forms of electronic music "techno" tongue

BOSTON8BIT, MA

Boston has been interesting, the group of artists consists of independent acts that are playing all sorts of different gigs all over the state in-between the actual "chiptune n" shows. I think a lot of the gravitation toward the chipmusic night setups is that the cities provide a central area for everyone to gather - It's a good idea to share information between artists on what it takes to book a night and put on a good show with other types of acts, maybe it happens during a pre-chipmusic-night meeting/workshop type thing. Having individual artists feel confident enough to go out and either set up or join a gig would get this genre out into the surrounding areas outside of the city and improve the reception of chip acts in general.

I live in New Bedford (30 mins south of Boston) with a couple of members of Seventh Gear, and whenever possible we set up shows down there as well to branch out in terms of location. Since we began doing that, the local venue owners now take our acts seriously and it's easy for us to blend in better with what's usually happening around town at night. Through the contacts we're making in the process, eventually we'll be able to branch over to Providence and play regularly there as well. It's all about that branching! Of course in each of these pockets of activity, there are those that are more familiar with the process of putting acts together and putting on a night - if that's you and you feel so inclined, start the conversation! Not only will it spread the "acceptability" of our acts around, but it's eventually going to give you some place nearby to play comfortably.

Last edited by Active Knowledge (Dec 16, 2011 12:21 am)

Godzilladelph

@Active Knowledge word up! I'm glad to hear ya'll are making good progress up there. I still need to come to Boston sometime, maybe in spring?
And as far as PA goes, we def need to step up our game a bit and try to throw shows outside the city, it's hard but I don't think it's impossible.

@Victory Road agreed. to play devil's advocate, I will say though that all of those different styles are fairly similar. Now when people start calling stuff like dub, ambient, noise, and breaks, etc. techno is when I start throwing punches. I'm a skinny white bwoy and it doesn't help much but hey IT'S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS, FUCKERRRRRSSSS

DOUBLE POST CAUSE IMMA FUGGIN CHAMP

Last edited by SKGB (Dec 16, 2011 12:50 am)

IL, US

ive played a fair number of gigs with non-chip acts, and honestly tend to prefer it... like i said, i don't like much chip music, so that makes sense...my style is probably better suited for non-chip centered gigs anyway

Godzilladelph

yo, e.s.c. I just wanted to mention that when I caught your set in nyc after blip... 09 was it? I was totally digging it; some of the strangest, coolest sounds I heard and never thought i'd hear that at a "chip" show. Could tell people didn't get it though but whatever, it was nice!

Washington DC

To throw my two cents in on the dance music thing: I think that is the clearest difference between chipmusic on the internet and chipmusic in the flesh and blood real world. IRL the dance music is king because that's what relatively normal people want to go out and get fucked up and listen to on a saturday night after a shitty work week.
On the internet, however, it's EXTREMELY easy to find yourself hurdling down a progrock/demoscene/aphex twin/neckbeard black hole where people cry boredom if a song doesn't have at least 16 time signature shifts in the first minute and a half. I think it's very easy to find yourself in that corner and feel pretty discouraged if you aren't like...norrin radd (not a diss, norrin radd is just an example of a guy who amazingly good at very complex shit), since that minority tends to be very vocal and makes that mindset seem a bit more prevalent than it actually is.

ANYWAY: Chip music nights are good way to keep a finger on the pulse of whats going on in the community, and a great way for everyone to chill together and such so I think they will always be super important. However, the comfort zone is the enemy of progress.

I feel like this whole transitional period raises some interesting questions like:

1.) How badly to we want to be taken seriously, or how badly are we striving for legitimacy (whatever that means for us)
2.) How much camaraderie are we willing to sacrifice to attain said legitimacy.
3.) What is that legitimacy worth, personally and as a whole
4.) ?????
5.) Profit.

Westfield, NJ
Dauragon wrote:

words of wisdom

+1

Brazil

The best gigs I ever played were not a chip night.

Obviously it doesn't work the same for every country in the world.
I guess it's time to expand it out.

CHIPTUNE

Yeah. But:

Don't forget all the evil that came out of chipmusic 'opening up'. The most famous chipmusic today is often just a beepy version of whatever's popular atm.

Ghettos are important, and sometimes I wish there more of them. It's a refreshing alternative to being Open and iEverywhere. There are some spots available in the demoscene, if u're interested. smile

Unsubscribe

I suck at writing code. I don't really see evil, but im a carpetbagger compared to goto80.

England

ha I'll send you more noob SID tunes.

CHIPTUNE

Peter, so you are one of the insidious Northern outsiders with questionable objectives meddling in local politics, buying up plantations at fire-sale prices and taking advantage of Southerners?

Whenever someone talks about moving forward, I'll talk about evil satan terror.

Brazil

I'm selling out so I can buy an Amiga.

rochester, ny
Zen Albatross wrote:

Not to pick favorites, but I think the kind of thing that groups like Rochester Chip are doing gives the best of both worlds. MNT DST, the opening act from the show I played up there with Luke recently, had a really fantastic drone/ambient set that was not "chip" in the slightest but still meshed incredibly well with the rest of the evening.

just saw this today. this is exactly what we're going for!