Austria

Hello Seb.. i am afraid that Signed Registered Shipment will not be any faster than unsignet shipment.. If it doesnt say Priority or Express it is standard shipping just with a Signature Registration on the other end to ensure receival sad
Thanks......
Patrick

ad-hell-aide

Expected time is 3 - 10 days with the signed post.

The express post (which was given as 1 - 2 days) simply costs too much.

Austria

ok 3-10 days will hopefully do wink Thanks seb.. have a nice day

FRANCE

I repost this 4 Seb, might be useful..:)

FRANCE

Seb I have a question, (while I am waiting for the genmdm to be delivered this morning smile )
Reading your latest blog entries, witch are awesome, If I understand right, the sample data are actually into the teensy GENMDM firmware source code inside an array like:
prog_char array_name[length] PROGMEM = {
// sample data
};
I wonder if it is possible (if you release the original sample datas an array(s) name(s)) to replace the array(s) with our own data, patching the source code with an hex editor..? of course it could be a workaround until you release natively this function (if I remember right, you already have something like that planned smile )
Cheers

ad-hell-aide

Yes, I have such a thing planned.

There are two ROM arrays that store sample data:

The first stores the actual samples as one long, 8 bit unsigned list

The second stores the length of each individual sound in samples, so as to be able to read as offsets into the long sample array and retrieve each sound separately.

Would it be of use for me to find these two arrays in the binary?

FRANCE

No, take your time to make a fine loader smile
Yes! I got my GENMDM, hook it up since 5min smile works fine
Doin' a quick test on my PAL MD1, I will have to inverse some of the FMDRIVE controls for the controller version (and rescale some midi data too at some places)
( ex: FMD AR CC 0 ==1F versus GENMDM AR CC 0 == 00)
Everything seems fine for the first 5 minutes here, except this:
Secondary Decay Rates have no effect here, it seems to be stuck to a value but none of CC 51,52,53 or 54 have any effect.

//EDIT: Secondary decay rate for OP1 (CC 51) works fine but only go from 0x00 to 0x0F instead of 0x00 to 0x1F
I saw that you notify 16 data range for D2R maybe there is something here.. as it should be 32 data range like D1R.
register 70H+ for D2R has D4, D3, D2, D1 and D0.
So far D2R does nothing for me for OP4,3 and 2.

Can somebody confirm that it has an effect? maybe it is just me but I do not see something wrong in my setup.
For example setting Algo 7 just pure sine on OP4 CH1 AR 1F D1R 0 SL 0 RR 0F and D2R (CC54) (changing D2R here should go to infinite sustain at 0 to a short blip at 1F) but sending anything from CC value 00 to CC value 127 do not change anything to D2R.
"When First decay rate and secondary amp level are not set ==0x00 the envelope generator directly switch to D2R after the Attack phase"
seb can you confirm this test?

I think I should report this as it might be just me or something that could be corrected smile
looking forward for an answer ^^

Also something very interesting here with the stereo control.
(CC77) go from mute,left,right to center. staying in the mute position does not output silence but only the distorted part at low level with TL having minor effect until near max attenuation witch is SUPER INTERESTING!
seb can you please also confirm to me that mute position on GENMDM is B4h+ D7=0 and D6=0
If it is the case I might try to record something in mute, then in center position and then phase reverse the first and add...in theory we should have a little more only the clean signal... assuming the distortion is non linear it may not change anything in the end smile

Last edited by Aly James (May 18, 2013 10:29 pm)

ad-hell-aide

The mute does not actually mute - i mean, the low level output is normal, at least with all hardware i have tested with.

I will look at the code for the secondary decay rate now!

ad-hell-aide

Ah yes - the secondary decay rate is my mistake, I have fixed it now and it will be included with genmdm 103.

This will also be updated in the editors and in the docs.

Thanks for pointing this out! My apologies.

FRANCE
little-scale wrote:

The mute does not actually mute - i mean, the low level output is normal, at least with all hardware i have tested with.

I will look at the code for the secondary decay rate now!

Yeah I know but this actually prove something that I was not sure regarding the DAC "bug" and the "lader effect" that no emulator currently emulate unless FMDRIVE.
There is a lot of talk on this subject on MD dev forums. At first I was thinking that the effect occurs until a certain level of attenuation was applied.
So when I said that the sine shape (assuming we have a pure sine in this example) is slowly changing into an almost square wave is not exactly what is happening.
I think that the distorted line and the clean line simply adds together from the start.
The fact that we only ear the last portion is obviously because, as the clean line reaches low volume, the frequency richer distorted part underneath become prominent and that is also why some sounds seems to have a longer tail on the hardware then on clean emulation.
The positive portion of the sine also seems to be slightly shifted to the right the more the attenuation goes.
So there might be something in here just before MOL and MOR...
It seems to have been fixed by Yamaha on the YM3438 that some people use as a replacement for the YM2612...
On a personal point of view, I think this "bug" gives the special characteristic of the MD sound and I love it like that. 

Take your time to include the D2R update, I can leave without for now smile smile
an as always, great work!
++

Last edited by Aly James (May 20, 2013 3:06 am)

ad-hell-aide

Oh, I've already fixed the issue - I was shifting left by one too many bits, that's all! Just a typo smile

Yes, I know the bug you mean and actually I don't think of it as a bug at all but rather a feature to be used creatively... which I have done with some of my releases.

One man's trash is another man's treasure etc.

Phoenix, Az, USA

Looking forward to mine... smile

FRANCE
little-scale wrote:

One man's trash is another man's treasure etc.

Xactly.

I love your releases by the way, that experimental vibe is very deep smile
I am looking forward to make a release with all these new chip vibes...It is kind of refreshing to include this new side of music I haven't explored yet.
when I will find some TIME...

ad-hell-aide

Speaking of time, I'm really looking forward to having some time to add the CSM stuff to GenMDM! big_smile heart

FRANCE

This morning free time:
Tribute to Yuzo Koshiro on FMDrive smile
http://soundcloud.com/alyjameslab/ninja … mdrive-vst

Once you have the basics for the CSM working, I will talk with you on a possible way to implement a wav to csm speech...
that your coding knowledge should handle smile
// Wav vocal sample >> FFT analyse >> Formant Freqs >> MIDI
4 main formants in the speech>> FRQ to operators Fnumber >> midi pitch or notes
4 levels for the power of spectrum >> Db to operators TL >> midi volume or TL(cc)

These should output 4 midi files for OP4,3,2 and 1

Last edited by Aly James (May 20, 2013 12:01 pm)

FRANCE

So far GENMDM works like a charm! with FMDrive Vsti as a controller it is total fun !!
(controller version will be available for FMDrive users with GENMDM 103)

Here is a little fake CSM mode using only SSG for vox type effect smile
(fast SSG envelope can act similar to the auto key on/ off in CSM mode)