sweden

Hi!

So I picked up a Game Boy accessory the other day called "Turbofile GB". The guy at the store said that it was some special back-up unit. But the manual is all in Japanese.

This is what it looks like:

the internet wrote:

Now here's an interesting device ¿ ASCII will be releasing a unit called the Turbo File GB. This external device allows you to copy specific data from certain Game Boy Color cartridges to a backup cartridge.

The first title to take advantage of this device is RPG School GB,an RPG creator that we reported on a few months back. The game enables players to create RPG adventures, from the graphics to the map layouts, even the music. This unit will let Game Boy Color owners collaborate on the same game by keeping a central storage hub where they can save the data. The data is transferred through the link cable port on the Game Boy system.

Only software made to use the feature will work with it, meaning that you won't be able to store battery-backed up saves to the device, nor will you be able to back-up entire cartridge ROMs.

The Turbo File GB is scheduled to be released on March 17th in Japan, and will sell for 4200 yen (around $40). Back-up cartridges will sell for 2500 yen (about $22).

Anyone have any experience with it? I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

// nordloef

Sweeeeeeden

Interesting. So basically a portable memory system. I wonder if there's a whole bunch of these lying around in a warehouse somewhere because nobody wanted them. These could potentially be used for NL/LSDj backup. Did you get a cartridge with it? Without one, I'm fairly certain this thing is useless. Could you open a cartridge and look for flash chips? They would typically have a chip number like 29f010 or something like that. Basically interested in the size. Also interested in a copy of that game for reverse engineering to see how the protocol works.

Interesting, never heard of these

RPGSchool GB sounds like it would have been pretty cool

Edinburgh

RPG School GB available here, apparently. I like this concept.

Sydney, NSW

That looks like a member of the RPG Tsukuru/RPG Maker line of tools!
Oh man, I have such fond memories of RPG Maker 2k...

sweden

No carts for it, I'll see if I can pick one up. I was also kinda hoping it had some integrated flash memory, and the carts were only if you wanted more than one save. But thats probably just wishful thinking. Not have any screwdrivers or any tools with me, sorry.

Is it easy to take apart?
Some internal pics would be great!

sweden

Just got two carts for it. Also found some ascii games but i didnt by them.

San Angelo, TX

Any further updates on this?

sweden

I found yet another unit, but still havent tried them out.

San Angelo, TX
nordloef wrote:

dude you need to, this would be ideal instead of owning more than two lsdj cards!

sweden
Screamforme99 wrote:
nordloef wrote:

dude you need to, this would be ideal instead of owning more than two lsdj cards!

Why? It already exist so many better, easier and cheaper ways to backup your songs than some rare third party backup thingy...

Chicago IL
nordloef wrote:
Screamforme99 wrote:

Why? It already exist so many better, easier and cheaper ways to backup your songs than some rare third party backup thingy...

word, it's much easier and more practical to just have 2 usb carts and a laptop.

Tacoma, WA

Seems kinda weird... idk... I found an old Mega Memory Card lying around my cartridge collection, and that is what I have been using...

Sweeeeeeden
Saskrotch wrote:
nordloef wrote:

word, it's much easier and more practical to just have 2 usb carts and a laptop.

And/or LSDj with LittleFM, if only that nitro2k01 dickwad would make the program easier to install to a LSDj ROM.

Chicago IL
nitro2k01 wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

And/or LSDj with LittleFM, if only that nitro2k01 dickwad would make the program easier to install to a LSDj ROM.

yeah, that guy is a total butthead!