Spain

Hello! This is my first post here on chipmusic but I've been active for some time on www.elotrolado.net (a Spanish videogame forum) and more recently 8bc.org.

I purchased three types of backlight from two distributors: LEDx3 vb from Kitsch-Bent and V3, RGB from Nonfinite.
My first intent of a backlight mod was a complete disaster. I broke 4 LCD screens before I got the hang of it.
My best advice for novice users would be: "don't do it. I'm serious."

Here's a few pics of my second successful modification made with Nonfinite's panel. Hope you enjoy it.

Inverted madness:

Finished handheld:

And the wiring setup (works with both models, remember to use resistor with Nonfinite's)

Thanks for looking!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Looks great, congrats!

p.s. MGB screens are known for being fiendishly possessive of their reflective backing, and for breaking under pressure. Later model DMGs are much more forgiving for the beginner. smile

Cleveland, OH

Awesome. Nothing looks better than a good backlit pocket!

San Diego

I'm confused as to what happened to the pocket I just tried this on. The screen seems to reply to the contrast dial and if a game is in it responds to a screen/level change (meaning the screen goes darker for a brief second), but I've got nothing else on it. Sound works, no black death, screen doesn't have to much pressure on it, no cracks, and still nothing. sad

Last edited by Vile (Dec 31, 2011 4:16 pm)

Easton, PA, USA

Hey Vile, I have the same issue. Did you ever get it sorted out? Because this does suck hard
EDIT: I sliced the hardy ribbon! With a little scotch tape, and some native foam. I have the pressure necessary to keep the connection steady. So Hurray! pocket done with no horrendous damage.

Last edited by zerolanding (Jun 10, 2012 12:33 am)

San Diego

Yeah, I found that I put to much pressure where the ribbon cable was soldered and it broke the connections. I made a post about not making the same mistake after I figured out what happened.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/5735/ … ing-a-mgb/

Easton, PA, USA

that is a handy post, I got lucky this time, I didn't bother removing all the polafilm. I figured I'd cut my losses before I tore the dreaded grey cable. Good to know your tape trick for the next time. Thanks.