brooklyn

EMS isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

As someone who started with a GBA flashcart, I can say you will be VERY disappointed in the goomba version of lsdj.  Using save states can get annoying, and the wave channel is pretty much unusable with goomba.
Don't waste your time with it -- just get the EMS cart (or wait for drag'n'derp?)

Matthew Joseph Payne

You'll be much more disappointed thinking about all the music you could have been making while waiting for the newest product to come out. Just buy an EMS and get any old gameboy for now and work your way up later. smile

Yeah but really, no even a card supports multi roms and multi save on the Gameboy? No one never make a card that support this feature?! (I asked the guy who make Drag'n'derp and his card will not support multi roms hmm)

Gosford, Australia

What do you need multirom support so badly for? Not exactly sure on the specifics, but the lack of multirom/multisave support is due to a combination of PCB size, cart size, power requirements and the limitations of SRAM and how a gameboy can interact with it.

With LSDJ you can save multiple songs on the one save, anyway.

Oh ok, didn't know that, that was for GB roms too, like you have all your games on one card + LSDJ that would be cool, but anyway no a big issue.
One more question, is that hard to backup your LSDJ save? Oh and is the proc of the DMG a big issue? (you know when you use a lot of table I heard the song slow down because the proc is too slow or not enough ram) or is that because people use it wrong / you can do that another way?
Thanks for all your replies, that helps a lot!

Fargo

What are you hoping to do with it that you want multi saves?

Gosford, Australia
Tsuki wrote:

One more question, is that hard to backup your LSDJ save? Oh and is the proc of the DMG a big issue? (you know when you use a lot of table I heard the song slow down because the proc is too slow or not enough ram) or is that because people use it wrong / you can do that another way?
Thanks for all your replies, that helps a lot!

Using the EMS carts you can do it with relative ease on Win XP, dunno about newer versions though (one bro of mine had a lot of grief with it). Just a matter of installing the drivers which is a bit confusing but definitely not the most confusing! (try getting a korg nanokey to work on XP lmao)

I'm a bit of a nut with tables and I run songs at very high tempos a lot of the time, but I've really only had lag trouble when trying to spam kits a lot.

Matthew Joseph Payne

If you're new to LSDJ, it will be a long time before you hit the limits of the DMG.

I'm telling you man, less talk, more getting stuff and making music!

Philly, PA, USA

for real, anything you buy that's out now will be fine, people want the drag n derp because you don't need an external program to back up or write to it. making it more like a flash drive or whatever. all of the information you're looking for is out there just look for it.

Agreed, just buy something and get started, we know what we're talking about and we're telling you it makes little difference. Grab an EMS cart and get started on a DMG or a color. Don't even think about the processing speed limits of the DMG, the only time I ran into those was when I was half-clocked running double-time at 255 bpm; I don't know if you understand that, but it basically means it's not an issue. Don't even worry about pro-sound mods yet; the difference is negligible for a beginner.

Sydney, NSW
Tsuki wrote:

Yeah but really, no even a card supports multi roms and multi save on the Gameboy? No one never make a card that support this feature?

EMS supports multi-rom.

BAM

Chainsaw Police wrote:
Tsuki wrote:

Yeah but really, no even a card supports multi roms and multi save on the Gameboy? No one never make a card that support this feature?

EMS supports multi-rom.

BAM

Tsuki wrote:

Yeah but really, no even a card supports multi roms AND multi save on the Gameboy? No one never make a card that support this feature?

Tsuki wrote:

Yeah but really, no even a card supports multi roms AND multi save on the Gameboy?

Tsuki wrote:

multi roms AND multi save

Tsuki wrote:

AND

Last edited by Tsuki (Jan 3, 2012 5:20 am)

Neo Jersey

wait so should one be using the goomba version if you are using an ems 64mb card on a gba sp? i dont, but it seems to crash more often than on my dmg. maybe thats why?

You've made your point quite clearly, and so we've made ours. The answer is no, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Cut your losses and buy something, this topic is going nowhere fast.

Yeah I decided to buy a white DMG with an EMS 64. I'll backlit it later (don't have enough money now) and maybe pro sound.

Philly, PA, USA
HPizzle wrote:

wait so should one be using the goomba version if you are using an ems 64mb card on a gba sp? i dont, but it seems to crash more often than on my dmg. maybe thats why?

no the goomba version is because you can't run .gb roms or whathaveyou on a GBA flashcart so you need to run it through the "goomba" emulator. i don't know why it would be crashing more on gba than dmg though.