Hi, I will order a GBA SP NES Edition soon with a Ez Flash IV (I plan to put LSDJ on it) and a Headphone Adapter.
Is there a special version of LSDJ for the GBA? Any advices or tips?
What mods can be done on the GBA SP? I heard of the prosound and the bright mod but I can't find tutorials for them, is that hard to do (I never done any mod before) and do you have a tutorial link for those mods?
Thanks in advance!

uhajdafdfdfa

the GBA version for lsdj is called "goomba lsdj" i believe

prosound and backlight mods are only needed on older gameboys, a GBA SP has already got those features (good sound and good screen) so don't worry about them

Thanks for your reply, if I purchase LSDJ form the official website, will they send me the goomba version?
Also do you know where I can found the official Nintendo Headphone Adapter? It seems I can only find it on a Chinese website, and I'm afraid it's a fake and I don't want to buy a third party one because the sound will probably will be crap with it.
For the mods, I was thinking about adding a jack because the GBA SP don't have it and because you need to use an adapter you can't plug it to the AC adapter when the Headphone adapter is already plugged in. For the Bright mod it is to make the screen even more bright with levels (like on DS lite or 3DS) and I think it can be useful because the light of the screen is not really high (like the DS phat or even less...)

Fargo

When you purchase LSDJ, you get a login and password to access the directories on the LSDJ website, and you will be able to download the version you need.

I bought a 3rd party GBA SP headphone adapter, and it works just fine.  I bought mine on ebay.  Kitsch sometimes sells them on his site, but I don't think he has any stock right now. 

I don't know if I'd start modding with the SP.  It has very little space in the case and is therefore a little tougher to mod successfully.  The newer SPs have a brighter light, but unfortunately the NES model is not one of them.  If you really feel like modding it though, go for it.  Modding is fun.  I just wouldn't recommend starting with one that you will be really upset if you mess something up.

Yep I just realized about the the screen of the NES version, But I can still buy a AGS-101 on Ebay and swap the shells then sell it, I just don't understand how to do it since you must remove the nintendo logo and the 5 "pads" on the screen (see that tutorial http://www.gaminggenerations.com/tutorials/59/1-t1058/) and I don't know how it can be done without fucking them, is it really possible to remove that without letting any trace on it? (Especially for the Nintendo Logo) because I'm buying the NES version on ebay for 90$ and the system have no scratches on it and it looks like a brand new GBA, so I don't want to "destroy" it, but I think I don't have choice to remove the nintendo Logo and the pads to change the shell hmm
For the pro sound mod I saw it there http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/category/modi … fications/
Finaly the only "official" nintendo headphone adapter I found on the internet was there http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gba/sp_hpadapt.htm (that website is really weird)
Anyway thanks a lot for you replies Krubbz and ant1 too.
I'm still hopping for someone to reply for the prosound mod, I'm not really familiar with mods and electronic or soldering (only did it at school when I was like 13 hmm) but I want to learn.
EDIT: Nvm for the nitnendo logo sticker I think you don't have to remove it, but for the 5 pads on the screen you must to remove them, and I don't know how to do that without damaging them / the case.

Last edited by Tsuki (Jan 1, 2012 12:28 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

goomba is a gameboy emulator for the Game Boy Advance series. You essentially have to install goomba on the cart and install LSDJ in goomba to use it with the EZflashIV. I have two of those carts and I tried to do this (not very hard) and gave up.

You can also use normal game boy carts (such as the EMS 64MB carts everyone has) with the SP, and use the SP's own game boy emulator to do the job.

IL, US

i think you'll probaly find the screen on the nes edition more than enough and not need to spend time shell swapping.. used to use sp's live a lot so a few tips:

buy at least 3-4 of those adapters at a time (you'll lose some at some point)

if using the standard type adapter with short inline cable: small amounts of electrical tape or gaffers tape (or any low-residue tape) come in handy for holding the adapter in place during live sets

if you can find them, the block-type headphone adapters that allow you to charge and use headphones at the same time have worked out better for me overall.. as a bonus, these ones can be daisy chained for 2 or more sets of headphone level outputs (think the almost cube shaped one i have came with a cheap set of datel brand earbuds, couldnt find a pic online of the packaging)

Whitley Bay, England

Can't you only save one file on the Goomba version or something?
I'd just get a EMS cart so you could use it on whatever.

IL, US
TraceKaiser wrote:

Can't you only save one file on the Goomba version or something?
I'd just get a EMS cart so you could use it on whatever.

yes & no
think it only allows one proper save, but goomba itself supports savestates, so you can get around it... i would agree though that the EMS cart is a better option than running LSDJ through goomba

There is no "GBA" version of the EMS? Or an alternative? Because a card that fit with the GBA would be great and the EMS is more expensive than the EZ Flash IV hmm
EDIT: hmpf, I can't choose what gameboy to choose, first I wanted a gameboy pocket because it's smaller than the DMG but it seems it have problems with the EMS card + have bad sound, then I looked at the DMG and I wanted a white DMG (but really rare and expensive), but even if I take a "normal" DMG I need to mod it to have backlit and I heard some problem with the processor being to slow, so when you use too much of something in LSDJ the song slow down hmm
So I looked at GBA SP but the problem is it has no jack so you have to use an adapter + the sound is not that great + you can't plug in to AC when the adapter is already plugged in + flashcards for GBA are rare + I have to use an emulator to launch LSDJ so the sound will be even worst, or I have to use the EMS card but it will not "fit" with the GBA SP + I'll not be able to play GBA games unless I buy EMS + a GBA Flash card...

So it's such a dilemma. DMG is great for sound, pocket is great for portability, GBA SP is great for portability, screen and battery but no for sound, and running LSDJ on it is a pain hmm

I want a small DMG with backlit LCD, pro sound, and lithium battery for 5$ anyone? -_-"

Last edited by Tsuki (Jan 1, 2012 11:00 pm)

If you're going into this for making music with LSDJ I highly recommend getting an older system, a GBC, pocket, or DMG will serve you better for this in the long run; I believe they're easier to mod, and have a purer sound.

Just one man's recommendation; rechargable AA's will give you great battery life on a DMG and the sound and headphone jacks on a DMG are convenient also. Aside from portability is there any other reason you'd prefer doing this on a GBA?

Hm for the GBA i'd say portability, lithium battery, backlit, and possibility to play GB/GBC/GBA games (plus nes with emulator) on it is a +.
But I think the DMG is the good choice, I just have a problem with the flashcard, is EMS the only option for it? There is no card that support more than one save and multiple roms on it?

The EMS 64MB is one of the better options out there currently yeah; it has support for multiple ROMs, but unfortunately only has support for 1 save file. Out of the current carts out there you won't really find any with multiple save support; but the coming Drag'n'Derp cart might be able to fill that niche. I wouldn't sit around waiting for it though; no-one knows when it'll actually make it into production.

So none of the current card (EMS, Bleep Bloop, infinity, ect) support multi save?!

Sydney, NSW

god damnit, just buy an EMS cart and any cheap-ass gameboy.

Chainsaw Police wrote:

god damnit, just buy an EMS cart and any cheap-ass gameboy.

And then the Drag'n'derp is out one week later, no thanks, I prefer to be well informed before to buy, I never rush anything, because a lot of people are doing that and then they are disappointed.