Gosford, Australia

i think that was a reference to his last ep, which wasn't "chiptune"
i still thought it was properly cool though

San Francisco :P
spacetownsavior wrote:

I like the rigorous use of music theory in the criticism, but I don't think you reeeeeally need those composer references, especially considering that the styles of composition vary so differently. I understand that sometimes classical ("art" music) music has the best examples of a particular compositional technique, but it's also quite possible to separate techniques from content, and I would argue that it is actually MORE beneficial to do so when critiquing.

I think that as a critic, it would be better to frame the criticism in terms of what the artist is trying to do and helping him/her succeed at that objective, i.e. finding those compositional techniques in pieces of the same style and demonstrating why it works or doesn't work for the song in question, rather than simply picking a composer and telling the artist to emulate him/her. It may very well be the case that the technique in question was tried and it simply didn't work due to stylistic limitations, medium limitations, etc.

As an example, why is the lack of a cadence at the end of a song a "mistake" (I just picked the first thing I could find)? Sure, in a traditional classical setting a "fade out" would sound kind of stupid, but consider the context: the song is called "Stars and Skies Forever"! Maybe the "lack" of a cadence is actually the presence of the "fading out" compositional technique designed to question the idea of an "ending", which makes sense because it's supposed to go on forever (according to the title)! So I would caution against trying too hard to fit a classical music context on top of a different style, especially because you might miss ACTUAL things to criticize genre-wise.

And that brings me to my last point: I really dislike the idea of a score for a critique. A score would work in something like a consumer review (in which you're telling someone how to spend their money), but in a critique, scores just feel out of place to me, and it's especially apparent in the VCMG review. You spend almost all your words critiquing the lack of a cadence and the misuse of panning, say that everything else is awesome in what might as well be two sentences, and give him a 9.9/10. As a reader, the dissonance is really striking, considering I just spent half my time reading a critique just to end up at an almost perfect score. It would be better to just nix the scores entirely to focus on critique, imho.

But I like what you're doing here and more blogs/sites doing critique like this can only be a good thing! So keep it up and sorry for the essay smile

But see, a cadence  (in my objective opinion) would make the song better. Remember, the techniques we all use come from classical tradition. Since I'm most familiar with classical genres out of any genre (and it really has influenced music over the past 300 years tremendously) I have used it for reference. I also do link to non-classical stuff. But I link to classical music for a reason.

Victory Road wrote:

i think that was a reference to his last ep, which wasn't "chiptune"
i still thought it was properly cool though

I was not a fan of the piano though (I can do much better piano writing, in my objective opinion) . I will definitely nitpick that (it was actually really good, I must say, but the lack of chiptune qualifies it as "not good chiptune" just how beethoven is "Not good chiptune").

Perhaps I might get rid of a score. Also, I believe any-level headed reviewer would give it a 9. I just really liked the album, alo alot alot alot,

Last edited by Monovfox (Jan 6, 2012 12:16 am)

egr wrote:

You're doing some good work here.  Anyone that's concerned with the "correct" application of music theory should definitely be reading this blog!

I'm with kineticturtle on the confusing opening paragraph, tho.  I'm constantly looking for "DATA CHIP EXTREMECORE1337" and honestly I find much less of it than I would hope.

What I meant by "DATA CHIP EXTREMECORE1337" are those really just hipster genres of metal that don't matter. Metal is metal, whether or not it is more "melodic" or not does not concern me.

Would be fun to see your take on this release

Matthew Joseph Payne

y u ignore my question? sad

kineticturtle wrote:

I like this blog, good work! However, I'm not sure what to make of this and I'd love it if you would expand on it:

Monofox wrote:

I feel like the chiptunes scene has been lacking much in quality since I entered. In our lives we are constantly bombarded by "DATA CHIP EXTREMECORE1337", "Avante-Garde Chip pop" (note to self, now is not the time to rip on Jay Tholen), and stuff that isn't (according to myself) even chiptune (Sorry, Je Mapelle, you're guilty.)

i.e. you suggest an issue with quality, but then give whole "genres" (which both surely include quality music) as a specific issue. Would you be willing to explain your reasoning?

While you're at it, please DON'T expand on the issue of "stuff that isn't...even chiptune" - that's a can of worms not worth opening. wink

Also, you're from SF - do you go to conservatory, or what? We probably know some people in common, wouldn't surprise me.

I don't go to the conservatory. I'm only a high-school student :v (I wish I went to the conservatory!)

Oh, I don't say those genres are an issue. What I'm saying is too much is out there, and real gems can be lost in the crowd of sub-par releases (I'm not implying that those genres are sub-par, I probably could have worded this last blog better)

DOUBLE POST.

Last edited by Monovfox (Jan 6, 2012 1:47 am)

San Diego, CA
Monovfox wrote:

(in my objective opinion)

No such thing. Not to nitpick, but opinions are by definition not objective.

Monovfox wrote:

Remember, the techniques we all use come from classical tradition. Since I'm most familiar with classical genres out of any genre (and it really has influenced music over the past 300 years tremendously) I have used it for reference. I also do link to non-classical stuff. But I link to classical music for a reason.

The thing is, the compositions came before music theory. It's not like Bach sat down and declared that a cadence that starts on the dominant and ends on the tonic would be an authentic cadence and then started writing a bunch of music that conformed to that theory. Rather, Bach (and every other composer ever) made a bunch of songs that had phrases that went from V-I, and people studying their work realized this pattern and called it an authentic cadence.

Point being, music theory is really just a method of describing trends of techniques in music. We come up with these theories so that we can talk about music without having to reference every single time someone uses an authentic cadence ("That one part at the end of the 4rd phrase in the Toccata in D minor was awesome!"), but that doesn't mean that the theories are law by any means. It's good to demand better composition and using techniques from music theory is a good way to foster that betterment, but I don't think referencing classical music is the way to do it.

Here's why: imagine you're some person who doesn't really know much music theory. You make a song and ask for criticism on it, and someone says that you don't use very good chord progressions and you stay in the same key the entire time. After they tell you this they post a link to a Chopin and tell you that this is a good example of interesting chord progression and key change.

If I'm that person, I'm not thinking about how I can learn from this Chopin piece because I DON'T KNOW MUSIC THEORY. I'm thinking: "did this guy really just compare me to this romantic-era pianist? why would he do that? I'm just some kid with LSDJ. What does he expect me to hear?"

By using a point of reference that's too obscure for someone to parse, you've effectively disinterested someone in learning music theory. It's obscure because not only do they have to change their listening strategy to an unfamiliar environment (piano music), they also have to find this particular compositional technique in this environment. I don't want to make any assumptions on the musical tastes of your average chiptune musician, but chances are that even if they do listen to classical music, they aren't directly influenced by it.

Now if instead you took a piece of music in the style that random LSDJ user is trying to compose in and point out a compositional technique there, the person you're criticizing now doesn't have to come up with a new (or unfamiliar) strategy for music listening, and it's a LOT easier to figure out what you're trying to talk about when you don't have to reorient yourself like that. If I'm making a dance track and someone points out a cool chord progression in another dance track, I can just zero in on that progression because I'm familiar with everything else the track is doing.

I think that kind of criticism is a lot more valuable than doing it the other way, because not only is it parse-able and helpful, but it could also open up a door for the person you criticize to go to other kinds of music (like classical) and learn theory in those environments! I remember my music theory training always seemed so random and unhelpful in practice until I realized that the music I listened to followed these trends too, and THAT was when I started applying the theory to everything (including my piano performance).

legitimate points are legitimate. Will be making that change to the blog, once I'm done trying to decide what to review next (I literally have 17 things in the hopper)

Florida

Rip on me dude, RIP ON ME.

Gosford, Australia

Yeah I emailed you a while ago, Mono. Dunno if you got it or not. Come at me bro!

Jay Tholen wrote:

okay, you're awful.

Victory Road wrote:

Yeah I emailed you a while ago, Mono. Dunno if you got it or not. Come at me bro!

I got really side-tracked with things, will try to get back to reviewing during spring break. (in about a week)

I am working on a big classical music project, hence sidetracked stuff sad

Florida
Monovfox wrote:
Jay Tholen wrote:

okay, you're awful.

Ew dude. Bad reason.

My feeling (from reading your review of that dude's album) is that you're perceiving me as someone who is largely image based (ie, L@@K I'm CRAZYyyyrandom SoUnDzz dude ) with very little tangible skill. I also sort of sense that you hold on to musical orthodoxies that filter me out as a 'legitimate artist'. Those things may be true to a degree, they don't make me objectively awful.

Also, I like your music so whatever.

Last edited by Jay Tholen (Mar 25, 2012 11:36 pm)

correction: you're not that awful, but I did infact grant your wish tongue . Yeah, you kinda hit the nail on the head. Except I'm fine with avante-garde, I just find your music fairly uninteresting (also,  don't perceive me not liking your music as an attack on your character)

also, thanks for the compliment big_smile

Last edited by Monovfox (Mar 26, 2012 12:11 am)