Florida
Monovfox wrote:

correction: you're not that awful, but I did infact grant your wish tongue . Yeah, you kinda hit the nail on the head. Except I'm fine with avante-garde, I just find your music fairly uninteresting (also,  don't perceive me not liking your music as an attack on your character)

also, thanks for the compliment big_smile

fair enough smile

Gosford, Australia

welcome back, looking forward to more reviews smile

East Kilbride, Scotland

Look, I'm critiquing a critique blog.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but every post just reads like a total braindump rather than something that anyone other than the reviewer and writer of the music would enjoy reading. The changing font sizes and the poor, often uneven formatting makes for a difficult read.

At the moment, no consideration is given to the casual reader, and I think you should try to take that into consideration.

about your foc

edit: rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by Je Mappelle (Mar 28, 2012 12:00 am)

Lol, chiptune pitchfork

(just jokes wink

San Francisco :P
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Look, I'm critiquing a critique blog.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but every post just reads like a total braindump rather than something that anyone other than the reviewer and writer of the music would enjoy reading. The changing font sizes and the poor, often uneven formatting makes for a difficult read.

At the moment, no consideration is given to the casual reader, and I think you should try to take that into consideration.

the change in fonts was kinda an accident (I did it the first time by accident, so then I tried to copy it in each blogpost to keep it consistent). Will change. More causality I will also be doing :v

hey monovfox, explain why you mentioned my name in your focal point review

Chepachet, Rhode Island

This entire blog is trying to pass off opinion as fact by a dude who still has a lot more experience to gain.

ant1 wrote:

never review any of my songs please

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Mar 28, 2012 10:24 pm)

Je Mappelle wrote:

cause, I was ranting. Herp derp.

Monovfox wrote:
Je Mappelle wrote:

cause, I was ranting. Herp derp.

Sorry that doesn't quite sum it up. Please explain further.

Otherwise. Maybe it's a good idea you edit out your "ranting" that supposedly means nothing up to now and shows me in such a bad light.

Gosford, Australia

You know how you did that one EP with the vocaloid, Je? He was just talking about stuff that wasn't chip made by chip people and used you personally as an example without actually mentioning the EP. Which seems weird. Awesome EP though!

I don't really pass my EPs off as strict chiptune. They are all mixture of more hi-fi music that contain aspects and a lot of inspiration from chiptunes. I like to post them on places like here or where people are likely to listen to it.

Monovfox: If that's what you is talking about, then I suggest you take a look at my chiptunes history and know that I have written A LOT of chiptunes over the past 4 years.

I'm going to stop posting now.

Boston, MA
Frostbyte wrote:

Lol, chipfork

(just jokes wink

@Frostbyte: fixed it.

Boston, MA

i have some concerns about the guiding principle of this blog. an example from the Psifork review:
"It feels like all of the songs start with some sort of drum loop of sorts."
in the context of your preamble, this is a pretty valid concern: off the top of my head, i can't name a single shostakovich piece that begins with a drum loop. in many cases, however, chipmusic has more in common with the theory and practice of EDM, early computer music, and film and video game scoring than western concert music.

if one were to review the same passage from a dance music perspective, there wouldn't be any question about opening with a drum loop; creating easily-looped rhythm sections for DJ's to crossfade over is integral to dance music practice. i think for criticism to be useful, context is crucial. i wouldn't dismiss a garage rock song that doesn't feature a neapolitan sixth, or a hip hop track that lacks sonata structure. would you?

I was trying to point out he could have had more diversity in starting out his songs (for Psifork). I understand drum loops are integral to dance music, but also starting with synths doing something (Deadmau5's Strobe doesn't start with drums. Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites starts with a melody in the synths, etc. I will acknowledge that drum loops are common, but if every song on the album starts with drum loops it can be pretty boring)

Now, I think it would be a good idea to use less theory and stuff. Also, I am definitely going to start referencing modern electronic music. (Also, note, early computer music comes from western classical, John Cage's HPSCHD, early ambient, hell Philip Glass experminted with synthesizers. Frank Zappa did stuff with computers too :v )

Je Mappelle wrote:

I don't really pass my EPs off as strict chiptune. They are all mixture of more hi-fi music that contain aspects and a lot of inspiration from chiptunes. I like to post them on places like here or where people are likely to listen to it.

Monovfox: If that's what you is talking about, then I suggest you take a look at my chiptunes history and know that I have written A LOT of chiptunes over the past 4 years.

I'm going to stop posting now.

Since I've been around, it's been a lot of hi-fi stuff, which is why I have the opinion I have.