vancouver, canada

so, i'm considering doing a live tutorial series focused around the DS-10. 

the specific format and logistics of the series are details i'm still kicking around in my head, but the general idea is that i would do a live ustream broadcast or something similar for a couple of hours at a time, and answering realtime or predetermined questions where appropriate.  i'd have my webcam setup to show the DS-10 at all times, to show you what i'm up to.

this series would be intended for people who were/are interested in composing for it, and already have decent enough compositional ability, but have trouble dealing with the interface or its limitations.  it's not meant for people who are just interested in making random noise - you don't need tutorials for that.

some of the things i might do:
- talk about sound design.  maybe in the form of, you guys suggest a sound and i'll try to make it.
- explore some options for working around the DS-10's limitations
- dissect one of the tunes i've already made
- delving into the finer points of composition.
- try to make a whole song from start to finish using feedback from viewers (this might open a giant can of worms yeah but it might be fun)
- if possible, walk someone else through the process of starting a new song (anyone have any ideas as to how this would work logistically? skype video perhaps?)

i expect the value of these tutorials would mainly be in sharing my thought process and decision-making while creating music with the DS-10.

anyway, just wanted to gauge the overall interest and see if there were any other considerations i had to keep in mind in terms of streaming / timezones / availability of potential participants..

Last edited by bryface (Jan 13, 2012 12:02 am)

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

hey ive been using ds-10 since its launch.  I would love to see some ds-10 workshops popping up, its been around long enough.  Also if you would like to roll around some ideas pm me or email skeetwreck @ yahoo . com

Wilmington,NC

Sounds fun. I could learn a few new tricks.

vancouver, canada
DJCactus wrote:

hey ive been using ds-10 since its launch.  I would love to see some ds-10 workshops popping up, its been around long enough.  Also if you would like to roll around some ideas pm me or email skeetwreck @ yahoo . com

actually the idea came about as i was thinking about the rise in popularity of starcraft streams/casts smile  i think i would be fun to explore how streaming might be useful to the chip community.

the live tutorial series would be more for guiding those who aren't as familiar with the DS-10 -- not so much for people who have used it since day one. though you're certainly welcome to pick up whatever nuggets of wisdom you can glean from it.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

well i will definitely check it out, like i said if you want to roll around ideas or if you want a second opinion on something just let me know.

rochester, ny

Very interested in this.
Also willing to help out / support anyway I can!

Puerto Rico
bryface wrote:

- delving into the finer points of composition.

This would help me so much. I know how to use the program, to the point where I can replicate other songs, bpm and sheet music provided; but composing my own music gives me this nagging feeling that I don't know what I'm doing.

vancouver, canada

good to see that there's some interest.  are there any specific topics, questions or pain points any of you have that you'd like me to cover?  that would help me to be better able to structure these live tutorials accordingly.

rochester, ny

i agree with the requests regarding composition techniques / ideas / styles.
i know composing varies depending on the individual but even so, it will be helpful to see your style / tricks / etc.

Tokyo, Japan

I did a bunch of Nanoloop 2.3 tutorials which was SUPER fun. I would love to see some DS10 ones.