WOW MAN!
low-gain wrote:

What would VST functionality add to it?

wouldn't that just be more of a Hardsid?

I used to have a 4 chip studio hardsid.. but he wouldnt' finish the damn plugin support for mac's. which is closing him out to A LOT of
business/sales

I had a lot of cash waiting to buy one too but he said that there was no plan to support Macs.

sad

Re. those new boxes - don't see the point. *shrugs*

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Feb 3, 2010 9:39 pm)

Italy

Did I get this right, this is just to play Sid tunes, there's no midi in, nor vst interface... too bad, would have been interesting as a cheaper alternative to the studio edition...

uhajdafdfdfa
Emar wrote:
ant1 wrote:

If you somehow didn't hear about it already, there's the HVSC. 73 megabytes is what, 2 albums in mp3 format? Pretty much every SID tune you'll want to hear is probably in there, it's surely worth downloading!

yes ive got it, some radical shizz in there...... im more meaning i dont know my way around sid tracking (well enough) to worry about using actual hardware for playback tongue

Ah, tunes by yourself rather than by others, I see now! smile

It's not aimed at musicians, I'd say, so that explains the lack of VST support!

England

this is perfect for me, and i was just about to xfer them the money for the studio version.

VSTs suck, you bunch of lamer DAW users, this baby works with goattracker! tongue

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 4, 2010 9:02 am)

Liverpool, UK
rumpelfilter wrote:

Did I get this right, this is just to play Sid tunes, there's no midi in, nor vst interface... too bad, would have been interesting as a cheaper alternative to the studio edition...

That's probably* why they DIDN'T include these features wink

*definitely

Anyone feels like hacking the studio edition vst dll to work with this?

Italy
Jellica wrote:

this is perfect for me, and i was just about to xfer them the money for the studio version.
VSTs suck, you bunch of lamer DAW users, this baby works with goattracker! tongue

that sounds interesting! Where can I find some info about this?

England

you get goattracker here in the tools section:

http://cadaver.homeftp.net/

tutorial:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=81146

its a nice little PC tracker, runs sid emulation, hardsid or catweasle.

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 4, 2010 12:09 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

guys... it's meant as an alternative for non-musicians. just those who want true .sid playback options on a real sid instead of buying the entire hardsid.

it's like an audiophile piece.. of course there's no vst support.

it's like buying a record player for  your record collection. in this case it's like buying a specific external Sound Card
for specific song format playback. "for the purists" so to speak.

Talk about face palm.. lol.. what'd u'd expect ? there to be a HUGE difference in cost simply because it could only fit 1 Sid instead of 4? hahaha
that's silly.

Unsubscribe

Haha.. HAHAH.. L(L

ROOFL!

England

this is perfect for me, i was annoyed when i found out i could only get the studio version for 100 euros extra.

i have no need at all for 4 sids or VST support, - i never use my multiple GBs, i find it dilutes the experience -  the guys there have assured me that this is all ok for goattracker.

I have a C64 but I get well fucked off with dicking around with its dodgy keyboard and floppy disks and sketchy diskdrive.

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 4, 2010 1:14 pm)

WOW MAN!
low-gain wrote:

guys... it's meant as an alternative for non-musicians. just those who want true .sid playback options on a real sid instead of buying the entire hardsid.

it's like an audiophile piece.. of course there's no vst support.

it's like buying a record player for  your record collection. in this case it's like buying a specific external Sound Card
for specific song format playback. "for the purists" so to speak.

Talk about face palm.. lol.. what'd u'd expect ? there to be a HUGE difference in cost simply because it could only fit 1 Sid instead of 4? hahaha
that's silly.

*shrugs*

I'm just bitter because I want a HardSID, but no Mac support = no buy...

sad

New York City
herr_prof wrote:

Haha.. HAHAH.. L(L

ROOFL!

I have to echo on the laughing.
Tell me of someone that wants this ONLY for listening to SIDs?

Also, you can use this with EMULATORS, therefore, you can use TRACKERS with it.
They just arbitrarily removed the VST support and that sounds lame.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 4, 2010 2:37 pm)

Unsubscribe

I wonder how well it would work under a vm.. its just serial communications right?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Actually i would guess that if the price is right.. any c64 music (on these forums... perhaps 8bitweapon) would want this.

There are some hardcore fans of .sid files out there that would gladly purchase this because they want to hear it on a real sid.
Specially if it was significantly cheaper than a piece of gear that was made for making music with. Maybe they aren't a musician, but still want a real sid sound.
there are purists out there..

Italy

But still... right now the only low cost alternative to the Hardsid 4U Studio version is either the SammichSID (if you don't count building a Midibox SID from scratch) and that involves a bit of work (which I don't mind, but still) or MSSIAH (and that's not really portable without some modding).
This whole discussion makes me thing that there is one thing that I would really love to see (and have)... and that's a small portable device like the Hardsid, with pots for tweaking the sound like on a Midibox SID, and that doesn't cost too much...