Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

http://www.hardsid.com/products.php

HardSID Uno

Enjoy over 36000 wonderful C64 tunes in high-quality played back on a real SID chip!

* Ideal for SID Players, C64 Emulators, SID Trackers
    * USB connection (compatible with both 2.0 & 1.1)
    * No power supply required! Use it with a notebook just anywhere!
    * Supported by the HardSID 4U Winamp Plugin! (seeking, sub-tune handling, IR remote controlling)
    * Superior sound quality (..it is a HardSID!)
    * Support for one SID chip of any version (old: 6581, new: 8580/6582)
    * Updateable firmware over USB
    * Drivers for Windows XP/Vista/Win7
    * Cycle-accurate playback of your favorite SID tunes
    * Digitized sound + high-speed playback with low CPU utilization
    * Seamless playback of .sid tunes while you work on your PC

Connectors

* One analog SID sound output (jack)
    * USB connector for connecting the unit to a desktop PC or a Notebook

AND

HardSID UPlay
HardSID Uno, UPlay HardSID Uno, UPlay HardSID Uno, UPlay HardSID Uno, UPlay
Do you need both old and new SID versions for playback? You need the HardSID UPlay then!

* You can install two SIDs in it: one old 6581 + one new 8580/6582
    * Switch between the two SIDs simply from the player software
    * Ideal for SID Players, C64 Emulators, SID Trackers
    * USB connection (compatible with both 2.0 & 1.1)
    * No power supply required! Use it with a notebook just anywhere!
    * Supported by the HardSID 4U Winamp Plugin! (seeking, sub-tune handling, IR remote controlling)
    * Superior sound quality (..it is a HardSID!)
    * Updateable firmware over USB
    * Drivers for Windows XP/Vista/Win7
    * Cycle-accurate playback of your favorite SID tunes
    * Digitized sound + high-speed playback with low CPU utilization
    * Seamless playback of .sid tunes while you work on your PC

Connectors

* One analog SID sound output: Outputs the sound of the actually selected SID chip (jack)
    * USB connector for connecting the unit to a desktop PC or a Notebook

Melbourne, Australia

yay smile

hardcore, Australia

Doesn't the SID required more power than a usb port is willing to give?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
godinpants wrote:

Doesn't the SID required more power than a usb port is willing to give?

My guess is they have a DC::DC Converter in there.. Similar to how the DMG supply goes from 6volts to -17 volts DC.
They stretch the current available to make more voltage.
Beauty of technology. :-D

York, Yorkshire

I wouldn't have thought there would be enough current either, especially on a laptop?  But I guess you could use a powered hub to get around that!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
BitPop wrote:

I wouldn't have thought there would be enough current either, especially on a laptop?  But I guess you could use a powered hub to get around that!

Do you know how much a SID chip draws for current?

Unsubscribe

I am pretty disappointed that this doesn't have VST support.. seems arbitrary! Also it contains a DC power input you can use if your usb bus is underpowered.

London, UK

Am I right in thinking that this is only designed for hardware playback of SID files, rather than as a MIDI synth/module? Seems a little... limited.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
herr_prof wrote:

I am pretty disappointed that this doesn't have VST support.. seems arbitrary! Also it contains a DC power input you can use if your usb bus is underpowered.

you can always mod it to not be bus powered..

and why would you need vst support. it's just a playback device.. buy hardsid if you want a vst controlled sid synth.

this is simply a playback device.

☺☺☺

very cool, would consider this if my .sid library exisited tongue good to see a more affordable price(comparative to 4U,)!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Emar wrote:

very cool, would consider this if my .sid library exisited tongue good to see a more affordable price(comparative to 4U,)!

Might contact 8BW... my guess is he has a very large collection of .sid files. wink

Unsubscribe

You dont need to mod it it, the device contains a jumper to enable dc power input. AS I said. I imagine if you did the external power you'd worry less about USB bus noise.

Anyways Im a happy owner of the 4 chip hardsid, I just wish this one had the vst functions so I can recommend it more to people who ask me about it!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

What would VST functionality add to it?

wouldn't that just be more of a Hardsid?

I used to have a 4 chip studio hardsid.. but he wouldnt' finish the damn plugin support for mac's. which is closing him out to A LOT of
business/sales

Unsubscribe

VST support adds VST SUPPORT. People want a nondiy alternative to the midibox sid or sidstation, and $200 for a single chip version that works as a vst AND does all the emu/playback stuff seems like a must have. This one, I think will make people think a lil harder.

Agree with you on mac support. I saw a compiled version they should just release that as a unsupported beta.

uhajdafdfdfa
Emar wrote:

If you somehow didn't hear about it already, there's the HVSC. 73 megabytes is what, 2 albums in mp3 format? Pretty much every SID tune you'll want to hear is probably in there, it's surely worth downloading!

☺☺☺
ant1 wrote:
Emar wrote:

If you somehow didn't hear about it already, there's the HVSC. 73 megabytes is what, 2 albums in mp3 format? Pretty much every SID tune you'll want to hear is probably in there, it's surely worth downloading!

yes ive got it, some radical shizz in there...... im more meaning i dont know my way around sid tracking (well enough) to worry about using actual hardware for playback tongue