CA

So if some of you may or may not remember, my first chiptune attempt didn't come out so good quality wise because I lacked LSDJ. Now I do not lack it, and hopefully you guys can leave some of your opinions, criticism and what not please!

It would be most helpful because I plan on making an album and am wondering "Is what I'm doing right?" "will people like it?" and so forth. Thank you in advance!

Song: http://chipmusic.org/nullatrum/music/night-nx

Last edited by Nullatrum (Jan 18, 2012 5:39 am)

vancouver, canada

that's more like it - glad you followed through with a full song.

it's a good composition - better written than your first one imho - and the influence from classical music is evident.   i'm not gonna comment on stylistic decisions or whether or not you successfully used common chipmusic tropes, because in the end that's totally up to you (and frankly, i think more classical-sounding chiptune music would be very welcome). 

also, good noise channel work for a first try - i'm sure you were trying to figure out what kinds of sounds can come out of there.

couple things to work on next time:
- you were probably wondering why you couldn't get much bass out of it.  many here have found that using the WAV channel for bass opens up options for deeper bass notes, AND frees up one of the pulse channels so that you can put in more harmonic stuff.  i'm sure others here could explain it much better than me atm.
- moar arpz. not just for the hell of it, but more as a device to help outline and elaborate the tonality of the melody better.

CA

Thanks, I'll look into editing the WAV channel and whatnot. Also, what exactly do you mean by "moar arpz"? Excuse the noobiness, but I can't exactly translate that slang...

CA

Oh yeah, also, I know this site says "no video game remakes of music", so I'll send you a YouTube link (instead of uploading it here) to a remake of Saria's Song I did from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVcqimKkvGE