Long Beach, CA

I've dropped my GBs a couple times with visible or audible damage. Any stories of hardcore wipe-outs or even minor wipe-outs that resulted in damage to your precious instrument?

Also, could minor falls/drops effect the sound at all?

Matthew Joseph Payne

I hit a gameboy with a drumstick during Glowing Stars rehearsal once. Knocked a corner of the front case off. Gameboy didn't skip a beat. I had a photo of the aftermath on 8bc but it is currently missing of course.

I also once put together a gameboy specifically to be smashed at the end of a show - it was made of parts that were not worth using in general - a screen with permanent missing lines, nicked up buttons, dirty case, no screen cover, CPU-002 board, corroded battery contacts, etc etc.

Threw it on the cement. Twice. Jumped on it. Hit it with stuff. Not much damage. Autographed it for someone in the audience so I have no photos.

Milwaukee Area, WI
kineticturtle wrote:

I also once put together a gameboy specifically to be smashed at the end of a show

This needs to become a regular thing.

Last edited by Moriokun (Jan 25, 2012 9:32 pm)

Moriokun wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

I also once put together a gameboy specifically to be smashed at the end of a show

In-fucking-deed.

sweden
El Huesudo II wrote:
Moriokun wrote:

In-fucking-deed.

I have been thinking about doing the same, but I dont know. I would probably feel a bit bad, even if most of the parts were useless. You could always use it for something.

I sometimes throw one of my game boys in the air at the end of my shows, and a couple of times I have missed catching it on the way down. But both game boy and nuby has survived every time.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

narwhalz of sound

Sydney, NSW

oh no i love my dmg waaay too much to smash it, i keep it in a foam padded box always, and that box is padded with shock-resistant gelatine, because this thing is retro and i poured several hundred dollars into it for mods (with my parent's permission, of course)

although i trash my gb color because it's not prosounded

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Jan 26, 2012 11:08 am)

Sydney, NSW

a.k.a the single most apt description of the chip community from 2010 onwards

United States

ONE TIME I PROGRAMMED A SONG ON LSDJ

WITH THE BIGGEST DROP EVER

Long Beach, CA
Boner wrote:

ONE TIME I PROGRAMMED A SONG ON LSDJ

WITH THE BIGGEST DROP EVER

haha i was waiting for someone to say this

BC, Canada

Well, I haven't really damaged any of my Gameboys, but I once dropped my GameGear 6 feet. The thing wouldn't turn on afterwards, so I opened it up and noticed that a coil from the power board was knocked clean off. I completely re-wound the coil so I could get enough wire to solder back in. I'm glad I got it working... It's hard to find a GameGear in good shape for a good price around here. (I bought mine from a ValueVillage for $8 a few years ago and found one at a retro game shop for $20 in the worst shape imaginable and a few of the same quality at a lower price at a flea market.)

Oh, and like... 10 years ago, one of my friends dropped his DMG on a playground and the sound was lost completely. (Probably just a knocked out cap though.)

one time i dropped a dmg into a piss filled toilet. I grabbed it fast enough to keep the cart dry, but ironically it had a whole drilled in the bottom for a mod I never finished. Piss water got all up inside of it..after a few days it worked again, just has a lot of dead pixels. I think i can even fix that with the blow dryer technique,

San Francisco

i used my gameboy to spank my ex and accidentally let go. it fell lightly on to my bed and i picked it up so i could continue.

Milwaukee Area, WI
wedanced wrote:

i used my gameboy to spank my ex and accidentally let go. it fell lightly on to my bed and i picked it up so i could continue.

mmmm kinky

Toronto

i dropped one of my extreme green ones once (my chikoritaboy). there's a hardly noticeable chip in the corner now. oh well. >:

otherwise nothing too major. i tend to keep them fairly low to the floor most of the time, so if they fall, it's not a big drop.

Joliette, QC, Canada

The DMG that NeX did to me dropped once and now the backlight is working but I cant see anything on the screen ! sad