Does anyone have access to samples from the MS-DOS era, specifically the '94 era (One Must Fall: 2097, Jazz Jack-Rabbit, etc.)
I've looked pretty far and wide, but haven't found anything.

Sweeeeeeden

If you're feeling adventurous, try to find the games and rip the samples.

Unfortunately, not at the moment. I might in the future, but I was wondering because I downloaded multiple packs of samples, but none of them seem to work with Fast Tracker 2.

Nomad's Land

Jazz Jackrabbit's music is in XM format (just rename the .psm files accordingly), so ripping the sounds from there couldn't be simpler. I suspect it might be the same for other Epic productions as well. btw JJ rulez.

Awesome! I'll look into it!

This song was my inspiration for making '94 DOS-style music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHu79H6kdM

São Paulo, Brazil
DVD Player wrote:

Unfortunately, not at the moment. I might in the future, but I was wondering because I downloaded multiple packs of samples, but none of them seem to work with Fast Tracker 2.

what format are these? can't you just convert them?

and yeah, JJR rules!

PULSELOOPER wrote:
DVD Player wrote:

what format are these? can't you just convert them?

and yeah, JJR rules!

Ha, well it turns out that I had some settings in the tracker wrong, and my headphones are utter crap so I didn't hear anything. I need new headphones before I tackle any project in this program.

São Paulo, Brazil

let us hear from you man.

a fasttracker project on ms-dos 90's games samples sounds really sweet!

Well, so far I have located a download of the ripped music from JJR and OMF, but the music is S3M format, whatever that means. So now comes the roadblock of whether I attempt to see if I can get samples off of these songs, or if I just hunt down alternative downloads.

uhajdafdfdfa

you can open s3m format in schism tracker (multi platforms), modplug tracker (windows), scream tracker 3 (DOS), etc

Joliette, QC, Canada

you can open S3M files with milkytracker too !

Progress report: the song opens seemlessly into ScreamTracker 3 (not sure if I want to make the swap from Fasttracker to ScreamTracker, but I'll debate that later)

All of the instruments are listed in the tracker. The question now is how to transfer instruments from song-to-song...

São Paulo, Brazil
DVD Player wrote:

Progress report: the song opens seemlessly into ScreamTracker 3 (not sure if I want to make the swap from Fasttracker to ScreamTracker, but I'll debate that later)

All of the instruments are listed in the tracker. The question now is how to transfer instruments from song-to-song...

You could save the ST instruments and open them in openMPT.

btw, if I were you, I'd use openMPT or milkytracker. Your life will be a lot easier with these two guys.

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm)

PULSELOOPER wrote:
DVD Player wrote:

You could save the ST instruments and open them in openMPT.

btw, if I were you, I'd use openMPT or milkytracker. Your life will be a lot easier with these two guys.

MPT is a total success! Currently I have to save each sample one at a time from the songs, so it may take a while (unless I find a faster method).
So at some point I may upload these samples. But that won't happen until I escape the College Proxy in a couple months. So if I have to do it one at a time, I have to time to do it.

uhajdafdfdfa

i think you could just open the S3m in modplug, do Edit > Cleanup > Create Sample Pack, and then go to Song Properties (on the General tab) and change the song type to xm

then you will be able to open it in FT2 with all the same instruiments

Well, so far I am able to save the samples of each song as .WAV, so that seems to be working so far. I'll get back to you if FT2 works with them or not.