Cleveland, OH

I've had this issue on and off since I got this thing on Dec 30 but now it seems to be constant.
While running CynthCart V1.1 a note will constantly re-trigger after it has finished it's decay.
If I don't trigger a not myself it will just do it it's self and/or it will just trigger a random low note over and over.
I did a simple audio mod, 1uf cap to 100k resistor to ground then wired to a 1/4".
But like I said I was having this problem on and off before I did the mod.
Any idea what is going on here? Is my SID screwed up? I don't mind having to buy another SID but I'd like to not make this mistake again.
Thanks!

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Mar 5, 2012 5:42 am)

Czech republic

I never had a problem like this but I suppose it might also be a keyboard issue... maybe try cleaning it inside and check the keyboard contacts?

Cleveland, OH
ashimoke wrote:

I never had a problem like this but I suppose it might also be a keyboard issue... maybe try cleaning it inside and check the keyboard contacts?

Good call. Will do.

Is there anything plugged into the joystick ports?
They can interfere with the keyboard sometimes.

Cleveland, OH

There is not. But when there is it makes it worse. Can't remember how exactly right now.
I'm playing with it right now and I took the cart out while running and it seems to be working now. I can't believe that this would be any sort of permanent fix though.

Cleveland, OH

Actually. Taking the cart out fixed it. No idea how that makes sense but it works.

Cleveland, OH

Oh, it still happens. I just got lucky a couple times. I updated the ROM and it still does it. What's wrong with my computer???

Cleveland, OH

Someone. Help me. I'm ignant.

England

Does the keyboard all work when Cynthcart is not being used?

Is the Shift Lock key latched down?

Cleveland, OH

Yes it works fine otherwise. And to clear this up the glitch goes away after key mashing for about 2 minutes. Then it works perfectly fine.

No the shift key is not latched lol

Cleveland, OH

Gonna top this and see if I can get help. I replaced my SID and my keyboard works perfectly.
Does anyone know what is going on here?

Melbourne, Australia

There was a bug when holding 3 or more keys at once:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/sy … ssage/1240

but that should be fixed in the latest version? or you could try building a MIDI to cynthcart interface:

http://www.nebulah.nl/?page_id=6

Cleveland, OH

Interesting. I've already upgraded the Cynthcart ROM. Replaced my SID.
I have a MSSIAH cart so I may try switching to that. Want to put an LCD on my C64 for that though.

Melbourne, Australia

Seems like it is more likely to be a problem with the 'CIA' chip that reads keyboard input, or with the keyboard itself rather than the SID chip?

Edit: (PS. there are two CIA chips, so you could just try swapping them and see if that changes anything?)

Last edited by uXe (Dec 16, 2012 12:18 am)

England
uXe wrote:

Edit: (PS. there are two CIA chips, so you could just try swapping them and see if that changes anything?)

Also, quite often you can fix by simply pulling and reinserting the chips.

Cleveland, OH

That's a lot guys! Most input I've gotten in awhile! I'll give these a try and get back you!