Matthew Joseph Payne

It should work just fine on diagonals. It's just a different way to move the same d-pad.

uhajdafdfdfa

i had a gravis gamepad with a screw-in "JOYSTICK" once

Louisiana
Lavar wrote:

Wouldn't this only work in 4 directions? What about diagonals?

Yes for games that actually register diagonal signals, such as star wars, yes it works great. It actually works wonders and lets you move in a flowing diagonal instead of a side up side up motion. Very good question though.

BC, Canada

I remember having a stick-on (adhesive) joystick for my GBA. Even something like that would be awesome for the DMG. No disassembly required.

Last edited by munchluxe63 (Feb 29, 2012 5:07 am)

Oh goodness this looks so good even as is without like matching paint or anything the n64 joystick just seamlessly fits imo. Such a great idea I love it.

Louisiana
IanFlux wrote:

Oh goodness this looks so good even as is without like matching paint or anything the n64 joystick just seamlessly fits imo. Such a great idea I love it.

haha thanks. But we will be making molds and making different colors and there will be slight alterations to the joystick.

Thanks for the support guys.

Are you making a silicone mold?

Louisiana

We are going to do some hand cast ones first that are one solid piece before we go into working on the screw mechanism so the joystick can be removed. But yes we are probably going to do a silicone mold. Not 100% sure yet. My partner and I live about 900 miles from each other so we are going to be sending pieces back and forth to each other for approval. We've agreed once the first test set gets made we will be sending them to select members of the community for testing and input suggestions. People included on this list are that I've spoken to so far are Kitsch, and Nex. I've been meaning to ask Justin at ThursdayCustom and yourself, Apeshit, actually just havent gotten around to it yet. We are still in the beginning stages at this moment. I've been caught up doing custom paint jobs for people at the moment, trying to save a little to help fund the project further.

This would be great for MuddyGB.  With your prototype can you accurately hit diagonal notes?

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to slide the single piece in/out of place?  I would love to buy either the final product, or one of the test models.

You could try placing a bolt or something in the dpad and just drilling straight through the joystick, using a screw to easily install and remove.

Louisiana
rygD wrote:

This would be great for MuddyGB.  With your prototype can you accurately hit diagonal notes?

Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to slide the single piece in/out of place?  I would love to buy either the final product, or one of the test models.

You could try placing a bolt or something in the dpad and just drilling straight through the joystick, using a screw to easily install and remove.

Sad to say I don't have MuddyGB I've been trying I get my hands on it but all download locations are gone from what I've found. He does t want it shared unless its by him and he doesn't have it available anymore.

The single piece prototype room a little pushing but it went it just fine. Nothing broke or snapped at all. Had to take the case apart of course and install or from the inside out.

As for buying the prototype I have there is only one ATM and it will not be sold. We will not be selling the first cast ones either. They will be only about 10 made and sent to people for free. The only thing we are asking for is opinions on the product. How the joystick feels and stuff, whatever feedback we can get to make the final product worth selling.

As for the final product there will be a hole in the dpad and a screw in the joystick. We want to make it so people can easily unscrew it and have a normal dpad if they wish for certain things. A screw in the dpad would hurt due to in patruding out. It would be very uncomfortable. We might make two versions. One solid piece on which will have a smaller joystick head so it will be able to install easily and one in two pieces. We know for sure we want the two piece one.

Glad to seer you are interested though. Check beach here for updates. Ive only confirmed 3 people to test the first ones beside myself and my partner. So there will be openings for about 5-10 more people depending on how many we make. I will probably post a sign up sheet or something for people interesting in testing then for us.

To clarify, I meant nut (not bolt) in the dpad, with a screw, head exposed, at the top of the joystick.  I figured this would remove the risk of a screw embedded in the joystick coming loose due to overtightening, but requires the use of a screwdriver.  I was considering trying it like this myself, but I don't want to destroy a controller.  I wasn't trying to buy the prototype.  Maybe an extra one from the test batch, so I will keep an eye out.

I wonder when the site for MuddyGB and Stepgirl vanished.  I thought it was there a few months ago.  I was unaware the creator didn't want it shared.  nitro2k01 has it here: gbdev.gg8.se/files/musictools/Japanese/MuddyGB/

Louisiana
rygD wrote:

To clarify, I meant nut (not bolt) in the dpad, with a screw, head exposed, at the top of the joystick.  I figured this would remove the risk of a screw embedded in the joystick coming loose due to overtightening, but requires the use of a screwdriver.  I was considering trying it like this myself, but I don't want to destroy a controller.  I wasn't trying to buy the prototype.  Maybe an extra one from the test batch, so I will keep an eye out.

I wonder when the site for MuddyGB and Stepgirl vanished.  I thought it was there a few months ago.  I was unaware the creator didn't want it shared.  nitro2k01 has it here: gbdev.gg8.se/files/musictools/Japanese/MuddyGB/

Yes the nut is an idea we are planning on implementing for the same reason you just said lol. Over screwing would cause plastic the strip. The bolt will be embedded into te joystick so there won't be any reason for a screw driver. Also thanks for the link I'll check it out once I get to my computer.