X

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to maybe take on a couple projects this summer and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for hardware they would like designed and built.

I want to build something, but I'm just having a hard time coming up with ideas.

When finished, I'm thinking that I'll just release the design as open source and make all the circuit designs and such publicly available to modify, build on, etc.

So what kind of stuff do people want?

Unsubscribe

Compact midi controllers?
NES with powerpak and internally mounted CF readers
Midi lfo/ preset effect box to use with things like midines?

GBA Backlight?
GBA Gameboy classic cartridge protection adapter.

Adlib based hardware synth

Small battery powered stereo mixer with fx loop.
Just a few off the top of my head.

Last edited by herr_prof (Feb 13, 2012 9:25 pm)

Yuma, AZ

+1 for the battery mixer.

Savannah, Georgia

battery-powered stereo mixer? oh baby. +1

Last edited by Aeros (Feb 13, 2012 9:39 pm)

Vancouver, Canada

Oh yes that mixer would be sweet, +1.

Some of my own suggestions, probably closer to dreaming-in-colour territory:

- Video-out for the gameboy. I know a couple of people have put together rigs that do gameboy-vga; it would be cool to see something like that available as a kit. I know I can use the super gameboy, but it would be nice not to be tethered to the SNES, and maybe we could even get better video quality.

- A more convenient way of getting pictures off of the GB camera would be nice too (make the link port think that a USB connection was a gameboy printer, perhaps? Just like the old madcatz thing, but with USB instead of serial (it could even just be an adapter) and current software.) NeX had a USB gameboy camera at one point, IIRC...

These are just things that are on my mind because I love the GB cam, but my mega memory card refuses to play nice with my EMS cart, and I'm stuck with the super gameboy + capture card for saving my photos at the moment.

Savannah, Georgia
nick wrote:

- Video-out for the gameboy. I know a couple of people have put together rigs that do gameboy-vga; it would be cool to see something like that available as a kit. I know I can use the super gameboy, but it would be nice not to be tethered to the SNES, and maybe we could even get better video quality.

OH MY GOD THIS. THIS THIS THIS. NEVERMIND THE MIXER. THIS.

Sweeeeeeden
Aeros wrote:
nick wrote:

I'm just curious, what exactly do you guys want this for? LSDj tutorial sessions? Fullscreen gaming? Not having to hold a DMG in your hands? I don't want to flatter myself into thinking shitwave is this popular...

California

+1 for the mixer

I'd use a video-out to reduce the eyestrain you get from staring at the small Gameboy screen too long. Would allow for longer sessions of gaming or songwriting or staring at shitwave for hours on end.

Lexington, KY
nitro2k01 wrote:
Aeros wrote:

I'm just curious, what exactly do you guys want this for? LSDj tutorial sessions? Fullscreen gaming? Not having to hold a DMG in your hands? I don't want to flatter myself into thinking shitwave is this popular...

It would remove the need for the super gameboy, and thus allow songs using a DMG linked to another DMG to be played while using the video.

Savannah, Georgia
nitro2k01 wrote:
Aeros wrote:

record my LSDJ's song screen along w/ the audio so it's not just a white screen in videos showcasing my works

also yeah i kind of would like to play pokemon red and ZAS fullscreen

and where did you pull shitwave out of all of this. it has very little practical use except for a gameboy zombifier.

IL, US

so you guys know, the game boy player for the game cube is pretty damn good quality and works just fine for this stuff (and has a link port)
to flesh out the mixer idea: besides fx send, id recommend both a headphone send and per-channel 3 band EQ

edit: nitro mentioned shitwave since it can also be used for visuals

Sweeeeeeden

Topic title mercilessly edited to be more clear and concise.

Matthew Joseph Payne

arduinoboy kit that fits in a DMG-07, using the original link cable.

I have one that I've built with a pro mini, but it's way messy inside. I think that with a custom cut through-hole PCB (or a populated multi-layer if it won't fit, but I feel that it should) this could be a popular way to make arduinoboys. Just a little dremelling and drilling to make MIDI and LED holes, and you're on your way.

matt's mind
e.s.c. wrote:

the game boy player for the game cube is pretty damn good quality and works just fine for this stuff (and has a link port)

i concur.

BK

Cart reader/writer for old blue EMS carts that connects via USB? That'd be a gamechanger. Especially if it was arduino-based and easy to replicate.

X

Hey everyone, thanks for the great suggestions.

I'm going to do some research into this stuff and then a bit of brainstorming and I will see what is
going to be the easiest to design and probably start with that.

That's not to say I won't get to the others, just what gets attacked first.

EDIT

nitro2k01 wrote:

Topic title mercilessly edited to be more clear and concise.

Thanks, I kind of blanked on the title.

Also on the battery mixer, how many inputs would people be looking for? Is the idea just a small portable mixer that just does the basics? Also what special features would people like?

Last edited by skybreaker (Feb 14, 2012 2:58 am)