Wheeling, WV

Men At Work just got sued for plagiarism for "Down Under" because the flute riff is similar to "Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree."

That's right. Men At Work JUST got sued for a song they wrote in the 80s from taking a riff from a children's song made the 30s.

That's just hilarious to me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world … 89937.html

MA

hahahaha no way!!!

MA

Those Men are gunna have to go back to work lol to pay back Ms Sinclair. That sux

Nashville, Tennessee

doubt it, im not sure about australian copyright law but given that it was made in the 30's, copyright law should mean that its... 28 years + a total renewal of 67 years. plus you have to have shown intent, which means that waiting 30 years to sue isnt going to help the case much.

then again, i dont know australia's copyright laws.

Anaheim, California

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Brunswick, GA USA

That's funny and stupid simultaneously.  I thought Kookaburra was a folk song (not copyrighted) and that any similarity in that flute lick was intentional (to set the whole "Down Under" scene.)  Do you expect them to make it Waltzing Matilda instead?

In other news, the law is broken every time Americans sing "Happy Birthday" to their family and friends.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

You can pretty much sue anyone for anything these days

))<>((
Reteris wrote:

You can pretty much sue anyone for anything these days

this. And it's bullshit.

NSW, Australia

Adam Simpson, Larrikin's lawyer, hailed the ruling as "a big win for the underdog", and said the publisher would be seeking up to 60 per cent of the song's earnings.

Seriously ? 60 percent!?

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

YOU GO AUSTRALIA!

York, Yorkshire

FFS.  I genuinely had no idea there was a link between the two songs before this.  It's really only a vague recollection in that flute riff.

What a load of old sh*t. sad

Brazil

Maybe now Coldplay will finally lose one of those millions of plagerism cases in their backs!

lol jk

IL, US

i cant believe they think they deserve 60 percent for two fucking bars of flute...like i hate the song, but i even have to admit they had more to the song than that stupid little flute part and deserve their credit/blame for the song as well

York, Yorkshire

It amazes me that the Lost Prophets haven't been sued yet. Maybe it will be one class action which will bankrupt them back into the stone age?  Here's hoping! big_smile

Liverpool, UK
BitPop wrote:

It amazes me that the Lost Prophets haven't been sued yet. Maybe it will be one class action which will bankrupt them back into the stone age?  Here's hoping! big_smile

What did they allegedly steal?

Melbourne, Australia

Bastards got what they deserved. (not)