mainz, grmny.

Is there any possibility to do this already? If so, where? If not, go!

Unsubscribe

I think not sharing a download is kinda against the spirit of Cm.. you could always post a soundcloud or something in a regular forum topic.

mainz, grmny.

See? If you think so you could simply enable the function, while others may disable it.

Edit: Certain copyrights may not allow to let a download be for free. I'm a friend of free music myself, so don't get me wrong. The thing is just that you can actually choose under which license you would like to upload music here, but you can't choose to disable free downloads. + depending on the copyright this can be contradictory.

+ yes, of course you can simply upload things on any other community + link it here, but I mean it's the "bugs and requests" section of Chipmusic.org.

Last edited by Stern Fucking Zeit (Feb 19, 2012 5:07 pm)

Alabama, USA

Technically, the streaming option is a download option. It's not so difficult to save any sort of media once it's fully streamed.

I also feel that not having the download button would be against the spirit of CM. This is a place for artists to listen to each others' music, and to discuss what interests us (and sometimes what doesn't). This isn't iTunes, or TuneCore, or SongStall, or any other service.

Upload a teaser instead of a full track. Or better yet, post a link to a BandCamp page with your album (or something similar) in the 'Releases' section.

None of the licenses that are available for use when submitting new music are contradictory with a free download, except for the final option of "All Rights Reserved". And, honestly, this is the worst license you could choose.

That being said, I don't see why it couldn't be an option. It seems retarded to disable it willingly, but whatever.

mainz, grmny.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that streaming is an actual download + it's no problem to get around this. You can easily safe streamed files + use them afterwards as you like. Most artists releasing under an "All Rights Reserved" license therefore upload in less good quality or, of course, in the form of a teaser.
Anyways, it was just a suggestion. I think it's likely many people on Chipmusic wouldn't even turn it off - because of what you called the spirit of Chipmusic.