b4by f4c3

I bought this and first thing that crossed my mind was that i can hook up my DMG & my GBP to my mini kaoss pad, so when i got this i hooked everything up and the GBP sounds great ( noise level and all ) then i played the DMG and the levels on the volume are too low to even hear barely. So i figured id make some changes on my mixer like instead of using a 1/8 for the output of the kaos pad i hooked it straight to the  cd/tape. ( mixer= xenyx802 ) it made it a tad louder but i cant think of anything todo to make it so both DMG and GBP are the same level.

Piggyback cable is hooked to DMG
Regular RCA is to GBP

Last edited by 8BiT404 (Feb 21, 2012 5:46 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

do you have prosound on either?

b4by f4c3

I do on the DMG

Matthew Joseph Payne

Unfortunately you can use this piggyback to split your output signal, but not to combine your input signals. It would theoretically work if you could keep the impedance ratings exactly the same all the time, which you can't, even if you prosounded the pocket.

In order to combine the signals you'll need some kind of mixer - ideally active but something passive could work.

b4by f4c3
kineticturtle wrote:

Unfortunately you can use this piggyback to split your output signal, but not to combine your input signals. It would theoretically work if you could keep the impedance ratings exactly the same all the time, which you can't, even if you prosounded the pocket.

In order to combine the signals you'll need some kind of mixer - ideally active but something passive could work.

thanks

Sweeeeeeden

Passive mixing should work just fine if the impedances and levels are the same.
Prosound = high level but high impedance ( = weak "drive") by design.
Headphone output = lower level but low impedance ( = strong drive)

I.e., the headphone output has a lower nominal level than the prosound, but it's better at forcing the junction between the two to its own nominal value.

This isn't really rocket science. All you should need to do is make a special 3.5 mm -> RCA cable for the GBP with a small resistor across the signal lines (left and right) to increase the impedance a little. I can't give you an exact recommended value but something in the range 22-100 ohms should do it. This cable will still be fully usable with only one thing connected, although the added resistor might make it more physically fragile. (Risk for cracked solder joints or wier breaks near the solder joint.)

Then there's the added complication that the impedance of the DMG's prosound will vary with the volume knob. In effect, you should always have it at maximum volume, or the GBP might still overpower it even with the added resistor.

That's all, I think. Good luck if you want to try this.

b4by f4c3

wow this sounds like just a major pain for no reason lol, still ganna give that go (nitro2k01) sounds interestingly fun haha.
Its ganna be VERY touchy given that i have the AC plugged in... thanks guys ill keep this up to date

Last edited by 8BiT404 (Feb 21, 2012 7:30 pm)

rochester, ny

maybe this would be helpful?  - http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids … reo-Mixer/

reject of nintendoage

you could also use the effects send to avoid impedance problems and have the effect available on every channel of your mixer. Also, this is what these guys are there for wink

there are several ways to do this:

- if you want the dry signal in addition to the wet signal, set the KP to "send" mode ("connection setting" in the manual).
Make a splitter cable with a mono 1/4" plug on on end and two RCA plugs on the other end.
Plug the 2 RCAs into the KP
Plug the output of the KP either into the "return" jacks of your mixer (effects volume is on the "AUX return" control, the signal only goes to the effect when the channel is turned up) or into a free channel to further EQ the effected signal.

that way, you prevent the clean signal to get fucked up by the rather shitty AD converter of the KP and be degraded.

the "AUX send" control of each channel gives you control over how much of the clean signal is sent to the KP

- if you want the option of only having the processed signal, you need to mod your mixer to PRE FADER SEND, like this guy did:
I did not try this mod, because my old MX 802a has both pre and post effects sends. Pretty sweet for adding delay on the wet signal only, leaving the dry signal alone..

that way, you can use the "AUX send" control to send something into the KP, even if the channel volume is turned down.

enjoy!

Last edited by shizcake (Feb 21, 2012 8:59 pm)