Hey Guys,

I found somebody from here. And we are currently working on making the game happen smile
Thanks alot to everybody who took the time out to reply and email me!

Everybody that emailed me, I will keep you on file (in case of other projects) and a big
thanks for your time!

Last edited by HugoSmits (Mar 10, 2012 12:14 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland

Hey, I just wanted to add that I recommended Hugo posted this here.

He contacted me about the job, and I didn't really fit the style (it's more of a SNES-y mix of sounds), so I'm passing on the opportunity to you guys!

It's a great opportunity to get your music on the DSi, and the pay is extremely fair.

I'd recommend you take up his offer!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I'm interested. Can you give us some clips of the game or some screenshots to catch the feel?

The website (http://www.acemathician.com/) has some screenshots.

On the press site there's alot of info (and additional screens)
http://www.acemathician.com/press.html

at this moment there isn't a trailer out yet sad

Last edited by HugoSmits (Feb 23, 2012 4:02 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland
HugoSmits wrote:

On the press site there's alot of info (and additional screens)
http://www.acemathician.com/press

^ Link is broken. This one below works.

http://www.acemathician.com/press.html

woops! thanks Sycamore.. I fixed it smile

matt's mind

this is very cool, i grew up playing logo like crazy, learning games can be pretty great.  its cool how you've incorporated the formulas into the gameplay just from what i've seen...

Sweeeeeeden

I may be interested, and I may also have some ideas on how to visualize (or should I say auralize?) the curves with sound.

Btw, this screenshot has two problems:

1) in math, you typically write constants on the left side. y = 2*sin(x) (sin(x)*2 is not incorrect but unconventional.)
2) The waveform drawn isn't actually sin(x) but -cos(x)

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions now, but I think the game, judging from the screenshots, will be less fun than it has the potential to be. I want to see more complex formulas, (that are gradually introduced so the noob isn't overwhelmed.) This includes things like sin(x+cos(x)) I want to see a bigger level than that. I want to see a time variable in addition to a y(x) type function. This way you can make animated platforms. Constraints on the variables: you only get access to x values and y values between certain limits, and you must now make the best possible solution to the problem. So yeah, I have ideas.

Costa Mesa

At first I thought it was "write an equation" then got excited but then I noticed that it was "press the buttons in order" and was less so. Interesting idea for a game either way, though!
also the confusion from the sin/cos problems MIGHT be that you're drawing it from the left side of the screen as 0, which would make the graph correct. So added programming is probably going to be needed to consider those negatives (or just cheat and have it draw a cos from the left knowing that in the end itll turn out properly, but since this is math, cheating wouldn't be as advisable) tongue
Hopefully someone can get some sweet tracks laid out for you guys, I just got started myself so I can't really contribute anything other than 4 channel DMG until my carts and mixer comes in, but good luck with the game! It has some great potential.

nitro2k01 wrote:

I may be interested, and I may also have some ideas on how to visualize (or should I say auralize?) the curves with sound.

Btw, this screenshot has two problems:

1) in math, you typically write constants on the left side. y = 2*sin(x) (sin(x)*2 is not incorrect but unconventional.)
2) The waveform drawn isn't actually sin(x) but -cos(x)

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions now, but I think the game, judging from the screenshots, will be less fun than it has the potential to be. I want to see more complex formulas, (that are gradually introduced so the noob isn't overwhelmed.) This includes things like sin(x+cos(x)) I want to see a bigger level than that. I want to see a time variable in addition to a y(x) type function. This way you can make animated platforms. Constraints on the variables: you only get access to x values and y values between certain limits, and you must now make the best possible solution to the problem. So yeah, I have ideas.

Cool to see people are really intrested in the game idea smile

to quickly answer your questions:

1.) how to write the math is up to the player. So if you are a math prof you can enter 2*sin(x) if you are 12 years old and you have no clue on what is conventional in the exciting world of math, just write sin(x)*2. Both will have the same answer as a result so it's all up to the players smile

2.) A good spot! it is actually sin but with an offset given earlier.

I thought about making the formula's more difficult myself aswell.. the problem is, for a normal casual player sin(x+cos(x)) or time are too hard to deal with. It is already hard enough to promote this game to normal gamers with no specific intrest in math!

@TrebleChild

It's true the formula options are somewhat limited. BUT.. it's more than just 'press the buttons in order'. Because you do have freedom. For example in the above screenshot you can make :

x
2*x
sin(x)
sin(2)
2*sin(x)
x*sin(2)

Later levels will get more buttons... the reason I keep it simple is the same as above; I want normal gamers with no specific intrest in math to play this game as well smile

Costa Mesa
HugoSmits wrote:

@TrebleChild

It's true the formula options are somewhat limited. BUT.. it's more than just 'press the buttons in order'. Because you do have freedom. For example in the above screenshot you can make :

x
2*x
sin(x)
sin(2)
2*sin(x)
x*sin(2)

Later levels will get more buttons... the reason I keep it simple is the same as above; I want normal gamers with no specific intrest in math to play this game as well smile

Alright I can dig it... so the levels get progressively complex needing necessarily different tactics but still the freedom? Pretty interesting.

New York

I would definitely be interested!  It sounds like an awesome game you're working on, really interesting concept!  I also coincidentally love working within that kind of style!  For reference, you can hear the kind of stuff I write here:

http://maxolevelmusic.blogspot.com/    (this is probably the most fitting style)

http://maxoisnuts.bandcamp.com/     (this has some more assorted material)