San Angelo, TX

What kinds of daws and trackers will run on this Mac?
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/p … 50_bl.html
Someone on Craigslist was throwing it away do I thought I'd give it a new home!
I really want to run cubase on it!
Anyways if someone could give me a list of DAWS and trackers that will run on the damn thing along with what version of the daws and trackers will run on it that'd be cool!

nitro2k01: Unvague'd the title a little.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Feb 28, 2012 12:42 am)

Gosford, Australia

http://www.os9daw.com/os9daw_004.htm <- bunch of software that will run in OS9 (you need CD keys for the better stuff). That site has a lot of tips on how to get an OS9 setup working and although they recommend G4 machines for better performance I don't think there's anything stopping you from getting decent functionality out of a G3.

uhajdafdfdfa

the only tracker i am aware of for OS9 is "playerPro"
http://sourceforge.net/projects/playerpro/

Riverside, CA

PowerPC? You're probably better off putting Debian on it and using Ardour/LMMS/Qtractor and Milkytracker.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0 … rpc/bt-cd/

Last edited by The Silph Scope (Feb 26, 2012 10:09 am)

San Angelo, TX

Quite a common mistake but it has OSX Tiger on it guys!
I would put os9 on it if I had restor discs or something,
I was just thinking about putting protools on it and a tracker,
Maybe an old version of cubase!

New York City

Why would you put OS9? It's a horrible system and very useless.
The Powermac G3 Blue & White is a nice machine, probably my favorite Powermac ever. It's great if you have a Protools card, for use with Protools.

Tiger seems overkill, I would downgrade to Panther and then install Goat Tracker, Fast Tracker 2... there's a bunch of stuff...
450Mhz won't let you go too far with VSTs and the like, specially on OSX, but everything else should run OK.
And I think you can have classic on Panther and ruin OS9 games if you are so inclined. you will need OS9 though.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 26, 2012 8:09 pm)

Gosford, Australia
akira^8GB wrote:

Why would you put OS9?

450Mhz won't let you go too far with VSTs and the like, specially on OSX

Answered your own question! tongue

Seriously though, the main reason I suggested it was because I was under the impression OS9 was the standard for G3 machines. Didn't even think you could run OSX on them, although I guess I've crammed XP into even older machines, heh.

New York City

Even if you had OS9, the amount of stuff available for it that is truly useful is minimal. VSTs still won't work tongue
OS9 is a very unstable, inconvenient operating system.

I had a G3 with OSX Panther until last year and it run beautifully. Mind you, that G3 was 700Mhz (an iBook), so Panther might be a bit sluggish on yours but you can at least try Jaguar. Depends on what you want to do with it. How does Tiger run in it? I didn't even know it could run on a G3.

San Angelo, TX

Haha well I found out something dandy:
Even though the machine was a G3 the prior owner upgraded it to G4 700hz so I'm pretty happy
And do you mean a protools sound card?
I have a spare Mbox 2
I guess I will have to find a torrent for protools 7 or 6 LE

Unsubscribe

if you have a mbox, you dont need a torrent, that mbox is your dongle. You should be able to download 7 off their website.

Alabama, USA

You could put ArchPPC on it, then build it to boot straight into a tracker of your choice (GoatTracker, Milkytracker, etc). Or you could actually boot into X so that you have more freedom over what programs are running.

I only suggest Arch (or Linux in general) because it's barebones and relatively easy to set up. With 450MHz, you really want to cut down on unnecessary programs.

EDIT: I see that The Silph Scope also suggested Linux. Not sure how I missed that before.

Last edited by mrhmouse (Feb 27, 2012 4:27 am)

New York City

Ah you have it souped up. Great! Still, Tiger is a but much. Perhaps you want to go to Panther anyway.
I don't know if the mbox works. My friends who had blue&whites had an internal protools card.

Unsubscribe

Im pretty sure it will, but youll have a limited track count. I think 7 is the last version for ppc?

San Angelo, TX
herr_prof wrote:

Im pretty sure it will, but youll have a limited track count. I think 7 is the last version for ppc?

Fuck, it sucks when you have to do panning in protools because the mbox(s) i have dont pick up stereo, they have two mono inputs, and the dmg does not hmm
nor do any of my other instruments besides my Kaossilator