Tucson, AZ

Good advice from Trash80 and George in this thread.  I first wanted to get a tattoo when I was in high school, and I didn't actually get one until last summer (about 10 years later).  During that time I went through a LOT of ideas for tattoos that I would have really regretted, had I got them.  It took me a long time to come to something that I thought I'd be glad to have on my body for the rest of my life. 

So yes, give it time.  And heed George's advice regarding the after-care that's necessary -- it's spot on.  I will say that getting tattooed was a really great experience.  Probably the most pain that I've ever felt in my life, continuously for about an hour and a half.  But also incredibly satisfying, and the tremendous endorphine rush that follows was pretty awesome too.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

I have to disagree with most of the people in this thread
I'm thinking go all out

Sheffield, UK
Reteris wrote:

I have to disagree with most of the people in this thread
I'm thinking go all out

if your gonna do it, might aswell make an effort! hahahah

The City Of Angels

I just had to post on here. -_-

Adding on what a few folks already said:

The girlfriend has been wanting to get circuits as sleeve across her right arm all the way down her lower-back right-side of her body. She's been wanting this for the longest (years) in a specific style and manner, but recently has been having second thoughts on it. This is the same girl who once told me she feels naked without this particular tattoo. NAKED. :p

This happens a lot apparently when people get tattoos (not the naked bit, the changing opinion ;p ), even when they delve into it for a few years.

All the more when one does not really think too much into.

Lets not forget: people are always changing, especially with taste as the years progress. Some more extreme than others. So that can always play a role in liking or disliking something.

The thing my girlfriend has been doing: Putting up designs she's drawn or things that are similar to what she wants etc. on a wall (in her bedroom). This way she's able to see it everyday. It's a good way to figure out whether one would get bored/tired/dislike a design over time.

Above all else though: who gives a fuck whether people on here like it or understand it. People probably have different tastes/thoughts/perspectives from you on this, thus it's pointless to ask for their opinion on something so "personal". For fuck sake, it's going on *your* body permanently (unless you wanna pay loads of cash later on to somewhat remove it). It's not going on people you're asking "thoughts" on for them to enjoy or wear.

This isn't a song you can ask for critique, so you can then later add or subtract accordingly to what you agree with or did not see the first time around composing, in order improve.

If only tattoos were that simple.

Do you ask people how to wear your hair? Dress? Who you should date? When or how you should eat or whether you're doing it right? If they approve of your choice of lifestyle? This is about *your* happiness and contentment, not anyone else's.

amidoinitritegais?

Of course people are always going to have opinions. Always. Whether they're right or wrong will more than likely usually be subjective.

You want my personal thoughts on your design?

I think it's shit. Another shitty tribal looking tattoo.... But hey, at least you're not getting some symbol based on some foreign Asian language who you know nothing of, you just think it looks "cool". Loads of people do that, believe it or not. Probably means "idiot" for all they know. How fitting.

Also, those two circle bits to the far right and left remind me of the Pepsi logo too much or some acient pokeball. Which would just be weird.

Do my thoughts on this matter at all now? No. Do you care? Probably not.

Happy now? Probably not, you were more than likely looking for approval instead.

Proceed to: ignore mode.

What was the point of all this again? Exactly.

Tokyo, Japan

Actually one final point, or observation if you like, people seem to think a hell of a lot about their first tattoo and a great deal less about their second. I thought about my first for like years, the second for about a week and the third for about twenty minutes.

Last bit of advice, your body doesn't really like being tattooed very much so being very well rested, ie good nights sleep, and very well fed, as in a nice hearty meal before hand its a very good idea, it kind of cushions your system a bit against the trauma. I got my first tattoo horribly jet-lagged on an empty stomach and passed out. I am apparently a bit of a legend in Tampa City now. While getting tattooed, take along a bunch of podcasts, nice and absorbing and kind of takes your mind off the pain.

MA
Mono wrote:

Proceed to: ignore mode.

What was the point of all this again? Exactly.

Seattle, WA

thanks for all the insight from people who gave it, im not in any hurry to get this so ill probably be mulling all this over for quite a while

WOW MAN!

I've got loads!

I'm conflicted now because on the one hand I agree with the sentiment "take it somewhere else". But we do have a football thread and, well, that's about as low as it gets for me. But, each to their own. "Conflicted" because every time this subject gets raised anywhere on an internet forum, out come all the cliches and the tired arguments.

It seems to be uniquely a topic that people don't seem to be able to ignore. Kind of like Tourette's.

To the OP: don't listen to nay-sayers. It's your body, do whatever you like. We all end up as worm food or ashes, tattoos or not.

What you should do though is listen to advice from people who have tattoos and there's generally been good advice posted on here from those that do.

Chose your tattooist carefully. Really carefully.

Don't have one thinking "if i really don't like it I could get it removed" - ten times the money and ten times the pain.

Have fun - it's a great experience.

And to just dispel the most ubiquitous question you'll hear: "Urgh, tattoos? What will you look like when you're 70?" Well, wrinkly and piss-stained, much like you will.... smile

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Feb 7, 2010 8:28 pm)

Cambridge UK
Nullsleep wrote:

I will say that getting tattooed was a really great experience.  Probably the most pain that I've ever felt in my life, continuously for about an hour and a half.  But also incredibly satisfying, and the tremendous endorphine rush that follows was pretty awesome too.

To me it was so obvious, that I forgot to mention it : thanks Nullsleep!
It's among the best highs you'll get in your life, and the worse the pain, the bigger the endorphine rush that follows.
Some of my friends are literally addicted to getting tattooed.

Now, regarding pain...it really depends on which area you get tattooed. I've sat through hours of tattooing and only went through mild discomfort and I had one tattoo that took only 2 minutes to get done (on the side of my middle finger) that put me through levels of pain I didn't even suspect existed. I was completely wasted for two days after that one. If you want to get somewhat of an idea of how bad it will be, pinch the area hard with your nails. The feeling is sort of between that and getting your skin sanded. No matter in how much pain you are, you don't want to ask for a break : it's gonna swell and it will make things much worse afterwards. If you cannot take it anymore then end the session and schedule another appointment three weeks later.

It's definitely a good idea to get a nice meal before your appointment. You also want to bring something to help keep you hydrated - you'll sweat like a pig - like gatorade, or my personal favorite : mineral water + lemon.

IL, US

oh, tattoos nearer to bone and tendons are tricky for pain and/or twitch issues
areas with more fat are best, which sucks for a thin guy like me
that being said, the inside of my right forearm barely hurt at all, but i had a hard time fighting the urge to sneeze

Seattle, WA

ya i would assume getting one right over your spine would be pretty painful XD (im a skinny guy)

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

i agree w/ nullsleep.
take yer time and think about it for a while.

is that piece of artwork custom?
i have one tattoo that's a band logo
(my first tattoo -- the black flag bars)
that i got on my 18th birthday. i dont
really regret the ink, but it's easily
my least favorite.

all my other stuff is custom, and it feels
good knowing yew have a unique piece
of art permanently staining your skin.

i say go for it!
but really think about it first.

also,
i worked at a tattoo/piercing shop for years,
so i *HAVE* to throw this one out there...

yew git watcha pay fer...
and good tattoos aint cheap.

Geneva, NY
neilbaldwin wrote:

I've got loads!

pics or GTFO!  let's see them bones and clams already!

WOW MAN!
bleo wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

I've got loads!

pics or GTFO!  let's see them bones and clams already!

Hey dd!

I didn't realise that was you.

I'll try to take one later. You're not getting the whole arm though - it's still not finished!

smile

Roanoke, VA

This is mine:

There's already a lot of good discussion by others so far.  I'll post my thoughts/suggestions once I take in everything here.

Last edited by orgwell (Feb 11, 2010 12:33 am)

Seattle, WA

wow