New York City

Do I need the DC converter board if I am going to power the DMG only with mains power?
What about connecting a 9V battery, will it work?
Or is the board for DC power and not the batteries?

I would also be glad to know where on the DMG-CPU-07 board I could connect a power LED.
Thanks!

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 3, 2012 1:04 am)

San Diego

The batteries are DC power and the power board regulates the 6V input into a 5V output. I asked NeX a question about running higher voltage through the power board once and he said you'd want to keep the volts as close to the 5-6V range as possible to make sure you don't burn it out. So the 9V would be a no go. If you're running power converters/wall chargers they're changing AC into DC. I'm looking at one of my Nintendo DMG battery packs right now and it shows the input as AC 120V and output as 4.8V DC. The wall chargers and battery packs bypass the power board from what I can tell, nitro or NeX could probably answer that better than I could. If that is true then you can take out the power board all together but then you'd be tethered to a wall plug any time you use the system.

San Diego

Oh, and a place on the CPU you should be able to connect LEDs to are these locations. Just make sure you have the correct resistor for the LED(s) you're using. I'm sure there are other locations you can solder to but this was just off the top of my head.

matt's mind

the power board also creates the negative voltage needed for LCD contrast.  without it, you have no contrast in the LCD...

you can hook up a power LED anywhere on the board, you just need to find ground and the regulated 5V (if you have a multimeter it helps).  otherwise, there are some pics floating around which have 5V places and GND marked... 

then, you need a resistor to limit the current based on the LED type you are using.

google "LED resistor calculator" and you can find some nice sites where you just enter in the info for your LED, and it will tell you which resistor to use.  5V will burn out an LED otherwise, unless its the kind with internally installed resistors rated for that voltage (more common rated for 12V)

hope that helps!

San Diego

I had no idea about the LCD contrast! Thanks kitsch, learn something new everyday.

New York City

Thanks for this info!
I assume then that unless i put a new voltage regulator or something, I can't use a 9V battery. No problem about a wall charger, but if 5V os what is needed, i could power the GB from a USB port, can I not? How many amps does it drain?

I guess I can remove the board. I don't have and will not have a screen.
The LEDs you buy usually come with a pack of resistors wink

San Diego

If the amp drain on the Nintendo battery pack is correct then it's 150mA. ASM has usb power adapters actually.  http://www.asmretro.com/product/dmg-to- … r-adapters