What happens when DJ Cutman collaborates with a math rock/dork/prog geek like myself? Agree on an "1 x LSDJ" cover of deadmau5, apparently. The meeting of two unexpected minds on the surface really produced a good balance and blend between two different musical philosophies and for me it was completely liberating. chk it out.

http://bandcamp.djcutman.com/album/dead … eboy-remix

Dubtropolis

it was great working with you, An0va! We must do it again :]

NYC

WHAT O_o....

Chicago IL

i'm pretty sure you can't sell that

yeah that's ballsy, or am I missing something...?

Lexington, KY

Psh, whatev. S'all good.

...to me, anyway. Not sure about Mr. Mau5, though, haha.

Chicago IL

damn there aren't like any original songs on that entire bandcamp

That's actually a really good question...
He bought a mechanical license for it and is charging to cover the cost of that, then switch it to free.
If charging for that isn't allowed in the license (which I have no idea, tbh), then we should definitely pull it, Cutman!

Saskrotch wrote:

damn there aren't like any original songs on that entire bandcamp

http://an0va.bandcamp.com 4 u

Last edited by an0va (Mar 10, 2012 12:00 am)

Armidale NSW Australia :D

I Have a deadmau5 speaker that looks like that one sorry a bit off topic 0_o XD

Back to the point it sounds Great!  nice work

Too bad i cant afford it sad

Last edited by square0ne (Mar 9, 2012 11:54 pm)

I like lab rats

Dubtropolis

Hai friends. Purchasing a mechanical license is how one releases a cover song like this; there are no samples, and no copyright is being breached. I'm paying Deadmau5's publisher for every download and stream the song gets. Mechanical licenses can be purchased for nearly any commercially released song, through the Harry Fox Agency or through much more convenient, web-based company LimeLight.

I'll take this moment to dispel a common myth that not charging for something makes it legal; if you use uncleared samples or have written a cover song and haven't bought a mechanical license, you are technically breaching copyright. The way the Internet and music industry are changing will one day (I hope) allow this type of creativity within the law (in some countries, it is very close to legal). Despite continued efforts, Creative Commons has not been fully adopted into our countries legal system. I encourage any musician who writes cover songs to legally clear them by buying a mechanical license; if not for anything else for peace of mind.

And in respond to Saskrotch's comment about my Bandcamp, you must have overlooked the first two letters of my name ;3

Yeah I mean, I assure you all we wouldn't even attempt to do a thing like this if we didn't at least try to keep it somewhat legitimate. I pulled my Battles cover mp3 off the internet for that same reason. yikes

(though maybe I should invest in a license for that now that I learned about it?)

Last edited by an0va (Mar 10, 2012 1:08 am)

Godzilladelph
DjCUTMAN wrote:

Hai friends. Purchasing a mechanical license is how one releases a cover song like this; there are no samples, and no copyright is being breached. I'm paying Deadmau5's publisher for every download and stream the song gets. Mechanical licenses can be purchased for nearly any commercially released song, through the Harry Fox Agency or through much more convenient, web-based company LimeLight.

I'll take this moment to dispel a common myth that not charging for something makes it legal; if you use uncleared samples or have written a cover song and haven't bought a mechanical license, you are technically breaching copyright. The way the Internet and music industry are changing will one day (I hope) allow this type of creativity within the law (in some countries, it is very close to legal). Despite continued efforts, Creative Commons has not been fully adopted into our countries legal system. I encourage any musician who writes cover songs to legally clear them by buying a mechanical license; if not for anything else for peace of mind.

And in respond to Saskrotch's comment about my Bandcamp, you must have overlooked the first two letters of my name ;3

That's good to know!
Question, are you still breaching copywrong if you use uncleared samples or cover a song, but don't use it for commercial use? say if i throw up a youtube video of a cover song or remix, am i technically liable to get sued?

buffalo, NY

never make money off samples. 

get mech licenses for covers.

But for real a million successful songs have been made with non-cleared samples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI&gl

Last edited by danimal cannon (Mar 10, 2012 2:23 am)

SKGB wrote:

Question, are you still breaching copywrong if you use uncleared samples or cover a song, but don't use it for commercial use? say if i throw up a youtube video of a cover song or remix, am i technically liable to get sued?

Though the chances of a full lawsuit are lesser than cease and desists or media, my understanding is that unlicensed samples are still breaching copyright and illegal. I support the use of sampling but also recognize that using uncleared samples comes with a legal risk. The extent and likelihood of that risk being a reality though really depends on many things including your draw, the outreach of the sample, and how seriously the publisher/artist of the original material takes their copyright laws regarding the original material.

It's important to note though that covers/remixes are completely different copyright realms, too. When buying a mechanical license you're concerning the melody and arrangement, not the original recording, so you now are permissed to mechanically recreate the song. Meaning, no source material is used. If you want to use the original recording, you'd have to clear the sample of it. Maybe someone else on here can confirm/deny.

Say Cutman, does the license you got ever like, expire? Is it limited to a number of downloads? We talked a bit about this before, but I feel this could be relevant material for all interested on this forum!

Last edited by an0va (Mar 10, 2012 2:36 am)

but wait f u guys derailing this into a sampling ethics thread hay I did a lot of LSDJ for this song >:(