Minneapolis

I didn't see anyone post on this. I know it's not exactly 8-bit (well, you COULD do this 8bit I guess) but it's cool and filled with fun geekery. That is, making pictures with things like fractals, or other procedurally drawn artwork. I have recently been messing with a program called Apophysis, which with some practice and some post processing (I use GIMP) can produce stunning results.

Here is one of my favorites, which I call "Plasma Rain <alt color>"

Click this link to get the gigantic size:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vm … directlink

Minneapolis

Here are two more for your enjoyment:

"The Electric Butterfly"

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WI … directlink

"Tunnel"

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dL … directlink

Anaheim, California

those are some really cool pictures

Minneapolis

Thanks! They are surprisingly simple to make, actually. You can get all the software I used for free, just Apophysis and The GIMP.

Anaheim, California

cool gonna check Apophysis out, already have gimp

Newcastle, UK

I've done things like this in 3D, looking at doing fractals with processing. Procedural Generation just astounds me.

Minneapolis

Yeah, real-time flame rendering would be amazing, but would require some kind of monster computer, or a render farm. Each of these frames took my laptop roughly an hour or two just to render, with some extra time put into the post-process. Now, this is with a 1.5 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 and 1 gig of ram, which while not really impressive these days is still quite a lot of computing power when you think about it. Doing a realtime render/animation of procedural stuff like this really sucks down CPU cycles.

Newcastle, UK

Tell me about it man, rendering complex 3d with dynamic lights and shadows is possible on my netbook, my temporary main machine, but it does take a long time. Took over an hour to render a day/night 3d animation just showing a simple city reacting to light and shadows with no other animation included.

Still, its amazing what you can push out of a relatively low spec machine.

Minneapolis

Stills like this are quite cool though, even if they do take a painfully long time to render.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Graphics/Apophysis-j.shtml <--- if you don't have windows

and, awesome images smile the image in the first post is great, I really like it, it's like ink under water or something

Last edited by Battle Lava (Feb 7, 2010 4:56 pm)

Central-ish VA

I've been doing fractal art for a few years now, but don't try to push my work on people.  So I'm glad this thread appeared, kindly allow me to spam.

About arfink's mention of time spent rendering - a lot of these I post take upwards of 4 hours to render, some around 7 - everything has been scaled down and compressed for this post, files are large and hard to upload places.  sad

Last edited by Beverage (Feb 7, 2010 7:22 pm)

Minneapolis

I have been running all my software under Linux, using Wine where necessary. I'd be curious to know Beverage, are these pictures just from the renderer, or have you post-processed them? They look really nice.

EDIT: and... what render setting are you using? I cranked mine up pretty dang high, and it wasn't taking 4 hours... unless I zoomed way in on a small part of the frame.

I have actually been considering mixing fractal work with really low-res pixel art, using dense fractal fields in place of solid colors for pixels.

Battle Lava, I got that effect by rendering on black with lots of blue and green (I might post that one, it looks teriffic!) and then inverting it and bringing the hue down and then fiddling with saturation until I got this.

Last edited by arfink (Feb 7, 2010 7:29 pm)

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Elevated by RGBA and TBC
All procedural - all in 4kb, including music...
(hope it's not off topic)

Minneapolis

Nope, totally on topic. Got any more info on this beside the movie? It's quite spectacular.
EDIT: duh... Pouet! With 4k in the title I should have guessed it was a demoscene prod. Were you involved? It's pretty sick!

Last edited by arfink (Feb 7, 2010 7:36 pm)

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
arfink wrote:

Nope, totally on topic. Got any more info on this beside the movie? It's quite spectacular.
EDIT: duh... Pouet! With 4k in the title I should have guessed it was a demoscene prod. Were you involved? It's pretty sick!

Hehe.. No - i was not involved smile

Central-ish VA
arfink wrote:

I have been running all my software under Linux, using Wine where necessary. I'd be curious to know Beverage, are these pictures just from the renderer, or have you post-processed them? They look really nice.

They're straight from Apophysis, I render them with transparent backgrounds (is there a way to do otherwise?) so the only post-processing done is to add a black background and (sometimes) resize or something.  Nothing to modify the way the image looks though, sort of a purist thing I guess.  You and I actually have a similar setup; I'm on Fedora linux and use Apophysis (in wine) with The GIMP.

arfink wrote:

EDIT: and... what render setting are you using? I cranked mine up pretty dang high, and it wasn't taking 4 hours... unless I zoomed way in on a small part of the frame.

I generally crank up the size, 3000x1500, 3000x2000, or 4000x2000 are my usuals for horizontal whereas for vertical I go 1500x3000 or 2000x4000.  Rarely do I do anything square, but it would be something like 2500x2500.  The filter radius is 0.4, the quality I go for is either 2000 or 4000, occasionally I'll do something special if the render time gets obscene (like overnight or something). Oversample is usually 2.  Buffer depth at 32-bit integer.  Of course, it doesn't help that I've got an ageing computer... nVidia GeForce 6600 powers my graphics, haha.

Also on that topic, it really does depend on where in the "scene" you render.  I very rarely do that double click full wide zoomout thing, I sift around and go for a nice camera angle if you will.  That probably has something to do with it, sometimes very basic renders will take hours upon hours just because of how close up the zoom is.

arfink wrote:

I have actually been considering mixing fractal work with really low-res pixel art, using dense fractal fields in place of solid colors for pixels.

That would be pretty cool actually.  I've tried somewhat similar low-fi things going heavily on the rectangle parameter and trying to use squares to make up the image. 

Things like this are what I ended up with, not exactly what I hoped for, and somewhat ugly at that.  I'd be intrigued with what you get at with your low-res pixel fractal.  Maybe there's something in the parameters, or a script (for some reason doesn't work in my version under wine.  sad), that could be written to get that sort of thing out of Apophysis itself.

Last edited by Beverage (Feb 7, 2010 7:46 pm)