Done. Having now read the goal of the survey it makes a lot more sense. Hopefully I'll be able to read the paper that comes out of it!

Holland

Why is it about games so much if the paper is about chiptunes?

matt's mind
Timbob wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

Now I feel old for being 26.

I'm 29, and now I'm scared of falling apart...

yup.  ditto.

San Diego, CA

Edit: omg I'm so bad at this here's another double post

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Mar 12, 2012 4:45 pm)

San Diego, CA
pixls wrote:

Since you're looking at alternatives to video games of what may inspire enjoyment of chip music you might want to look at what other kinds of music people listen to rather than asking what video games they play and how much they play them.

Xylo wrote:

Why is it about games so much if the paper is about chiptunes?

for any other paper I'd totally agree with you guys here, but the thing is that we're actually NOT looking for alternatives. I don't know if you read the post I made on the last page, but one of the ideas we're throwing around is that the people who enjoy chiptune are a certain "kind" of gamer. we already have a lot of material on the non-gaming reasons people enjoy chiptune, and this survey was created to target that population specifically. I personally have a very vested interest in chiptune NOT being a gaming-specific kind of music, so I'm definitely with you guys here. it's just that we needed to make sure that idea had a basis in reality!

pixls wrote:

Also if you insist upon keeping the video-game oriented questions a more appropriate question might be something along the lines of "when did you start playing video games" because while I have played pong it's not something that was relevant to my generation, and similarly while I am currently a gamer, I did not start playing video games until late compared with some others.

agreed! I think it's a little too late to change it but yeah, adding a question like that would've been helpful. however, the reason that it's structured as it is is because we want to know if you have heard the low-bit sound before, regardless of when you started playing games. that's less important (for our purposes) than if you've heard the sounds before!

pixls wrote:

Just an opinion but I think that the survey as is will give skewed results and you'll see the results how you want to see them. There is very little room for much reasoning beyond the realm of video game influences. perhaps doing a second round of surveys would be helpful looking at some things a bit deeper. I don't know if you'll find this helpful, but I just think looking at this requires looking away from video games for a bit, because while much chipmusic is made on video game systems, I would be hard pressed to reasonable compare modern chip music to video game music, or even video game sounds.

the thing with skewing our results is that the skew isn't going to affect the paper any. it might be a bad survey to look at for a complete demographic analysis, but something that I forgot to mention is that the paper is already pretty significantly finished, and we just needed this last part so that we could make sure the "kind" of gamer hypothesis wasn't something we just made up. not that what you're saying isn't helpful! it's just that that's not where the focus is at the moment.

again, the paper is a more anthropological, ethnographic kind of paper, so a lot of this is going to be based on my girlfriend's experiences being immersed in the culture. the survey isn't meant to be comprehensive because she's not going to be writing about the results as much as using the results to direct her writing.

I appreciate all the responses though! this is obviously something that a lot of people have strong feelings about and while my girlfriend's paper might not clear EVERYTHING up, it will hopefully add to the literature that will help us understand our culture as a whole! so thanks again everyone smile

Tacoma, WA

Finished the survey.... I feel proud to be 17 in that I am helping to spread a love of chiptune among the new generation.... but whatever, I may not have been alive in the heyday of all the great arcades and low bit games, but I still love and play them... I hope you will at least do us the courtesy of posting this finished essay and the accompanying grade so as we might praise it or offer constructive criticism...

ad-hell-aide

Answered.

The age bracketing seemed a little silly.

Chicago IL
little-scale wrote:

Answered.

The age bracketing seemed a little silly.

yeah actually that's the reason i stopped

San Diego, CA

I changed the age brackets so that there's a little more resolution between 22-40 years old! I explained earlier in the thread why we made that age bracket like that, but again -- we're not calling you old, we just want to figure out whether you have been alive while these old video game systems were being sold. we will NOT make any other inferences based on age at all, which is why we thought that the age bracketing was fine the way it was.

I ♥ myself for beeing 19 big_smile
I also did the survey and she can use my opinion i wrote about why i love chiptune ( & the community) so much.
But i want to read the paper when it's done D: !!!

tell her to export the data and i'll run analyses on it such as

wait for it

› Show Spoiler

ad-hell-aide
spacetownsavior wrote:

I changed the age brackets so that there's a little more resolution between 22-40 years old

Cool. I am older than 25, but I have done much development on hardware that is older than I am.

Godzilladelph
an0va wrote:

tell her to export the data and i'll run analyses on it such as

wait for it

› Show Spoiler

Earth
little-scale wrote:
spacetownsavior wrote:

I changed the age brackets so that there's a little more resolution between 22-40 years old

Cool. I am older than 25, but I have done much development on hardware that is older than I am.

Yeah true that. The more interesting hardware is stuff that was before my time like the c64 or atari. And Im 26, so 25 is maybe a bit low.

United States

lot of 25 and overs here whining like under 15-ers.

Philly, PA, USA

Cool, I'm glad you didn't take my crankiness as just yelling, i hope i was somehow helpful and that my answers helped!