Melbourne

http://soundcloud.com/pselodux/famitracker-idea-1

I say that because I woke up with the melody in my head, so it could be just subconscious channeling of the ridiculous amount of Virt's music that I listened to lastnight. Anyway, I thought I'd put it down as a kind of exercise in using a 'real' chip tracker.
So if anyone could tell me if it's already an existing composition or indeed something original that came to me in a dream (hah!), that would be awesome.

.FILTHadelphia

Musically, nothing is completely original. But I can't place it to anything specifically, I'd say keep working with it and see what you can do with it. Sounded awesome. I wish my dreams has a chipmusic sound track.

rochester, ny

yeah, cool clip! my only criticism is that it might sound better with louder drums. turn the instruments down a little bit and use some louder sample based drums. vary the noise channel a little more.

melody and chords and everything sounds rad though!

Melbourne

Thanks guys! Yeah i've got a long way to go before i can get some punch out of my drums in famitracker.. Was considering syncing it to my electribe sampler, maybe i can do that in a live situation.

Melbourne

This is coming along quite nicely actually. Lowered the volume of the melodic content as suggested and it sounds a lot better now. I think this is gonna be quite the prog track, haha!

Holland

The 'main' part of the melody you're just going up and down a scale. Although a lot of songs do that I don't really 'recognize' this. smile

1. experiment with more volume envelopes (particularly on the bass). it can get boring when there is no pulse in the volume.

2. to much SLIDE at parts for my personal taste.

3. i think the melody would be really nice with a direct harmony at parts.

4. maybe needs some different sections.

keep at it, was good for a first

Melbourne
Je Mappelle wrote:

1. experiment with more volume envelopes (particularly on the bass). it can get boring when there is no pulse in the volume.

2. to much SLIDE at parts for my personal taste.

3. i think the melody would be really nice with a direct harmony at parts.

4. maybe needs some different sections.

keep at it, was good for a first

1. Yeah, that's just my love for 80s prog-rock bass pedal basslines showing through! Usually I keep things simple in the bass department but I'll try something a bit more intricate.

2. Maybe it's a bit over the top, but as my other stuff shows, I'm a bit of a pitchbend whore!

3. Yeah, since I posted the clip I've added a bit of harmony that slides out of one of the bass parts, might do a bit more of that because it sounds super sweet.

4. Yup, this one's gonna be a prog track, I think. I've slowed it down a little and it sounds better that way.

Overall, I love the melodic sounds of famitracker, but I just can't seem to get any of my bassdrum samples to sound good. Maybe I'll use one of the square wave channels..

making your own samples right can be tough. maybe double them up with noise channel thuds.

c;'