Melbourne

Just started playing around with this, I think it'd be good to write some cheesy 80s/early 90s style tracks with. Has anyone written anything substantial with it?

Trollhättan, Sweden

Not made by me, and it's made using Korg DS-10, but it's close enough I guess? http://soundcloud.com/anthonyseeha/new-adventure

Tokyo, Japan

These guys seem to be!

http://ds10forum.com/

vancouver, canada

I've been playing around with the M01 since i picked it up in Japan last fall (the Japanese M01 community was SUPER generous to give a couple of copies to me as a gift) I'm almost finished one of my tunes and i'll post it up as an example of what can be done.

since the M01 is sample-based, you really can't do much to shape the sounds.  also, you can't have effects like vibrato or pitch bending or any other kind of modulation, which really limits how expressive you can be.  So, many M01 songs end up sounding like simplistic MIDI tunes.

But that's not to say that M01 tunes categorically suck -- you just have to make sure your composition skills and technique are good enough to offset the limitations.  if you've had lots of experience with sample-based trackers, then congratulations, you have a headstart.

This EP (an official compilation released by the M01 makers) is a good example of how M01 handles electronic/techno styles:

Last edited by bryface (Mar 14, 2012 5:56 am)

Melbourne

Nice! That EP sounds excellent.
It's a shame there is no pitchbend/modulation. The lack of custom sounds isn't much of a problem for me though, since they're pretty similar to the sounds I already use in Buzz. I played around with it on the way home tonight and came up with a nice little loop. Not sure how it's gonna fit into my composition habits but it's a pretty decent bit of software. Judging by what I made today, my M01 stuff might be in the realm of footwork.. AWESOME

Riverside, CA

I make black metal and brutal death metal nintendocore on it (think Abigail Williams + Malodorous + iamerror) and a buddy of mine does screaming over it.
We can't record anything right now though. He's in jail and stuff.

Unsubscribe

I actually like the sounds and song features way more than the ds-10.

Melbourne

Same here! DS-10 is great for tweaking and such but I find it so limiting.. If only it had more patterns!

I used M01 with my electribe sampler lastnight and made some pretty awesome hard, slow footwork stuff. So much bass!

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

This is from chip charged a couple of weeks ago, sorry i was pretty trashed and the recording live stuff is new for ppd.
edit:  The bass and the random modulation is ds-10

edit 2:link needs to be changed  http://soundcloud.com/jeffrey-s-cook/dj … dance-fool

Last edited by DJCactus (Mar 16, 2012 4:08 am)

Canada

I've made lots of Korg M01 songs:

http://soundcloud.com/unclebibby/pizzadisc-korg-m01

http://soundcloud.com/unclebibby/the-cr … f-studio-c

http://soundcloud.com/unclebibby/care-sympathy-korg-m01

I'm a frequent poster on the DS-10 forum.

Truth be told, I've actually put together 95 different Korg M01 songs, some of them covers, some of them original, and at this point I'm absolutely sick of the damned thing. I've migrated back to using Korg DS-10 Plus. Some of the songs I've composed on Korg M01 were once available online, but no longer are (damn soundcloud with it's stupid 2-hours-total upload limit). At least there's always soundclick!

Last edited by UncleBibby (Mar 16, 2012 4:35 am)

vancouver, canada

ok, so i finished a korg M01 song, and i think it's a good example of one might be able to achieve with a more chip styled approach:

I basically tried to throw at this song every trick i learned from my oldschool tracker days.  since the instruments have pretty much no modulation whatsoever (other than adjusting attack/release times),  you have to spend a lot of time humanizing parts as much as possible, adjusting note lengths and velocities down to the note, to make it not sound like cheezy karaoke music.

generally, I feel that if your approach is to evoke the style of 16-bit games then you can actually get pretty good results.  a lot of the sound sets are included in the M01 are reminiscent of that era.   (actually as i was plotting down notes in the piano rolls the experience reminded me a lot of pxtone.)  but don't be surprised if you have trouble getting the M01 to sound good with any post-80's genre of electronic music.

Westfield, NJ

this kid makes the best DS10 music and also makes some good M01 stuff too:

it's not hard at all to get that classic soundfont VGM style with the M01. I'm into analog synthesizers and making weird sounds so I will stick to the DS10 but have fun!

vancouver, canada

just thought i'd necrobump this here thread with some examples of KORG M01 work i had been working on, in case anyone wanted a better idea of what it's capable of and what it involves.

a little something i did for the Rokko Chan Soundtracks album:

a cover of the chrono trigger theme:

and here's an attempt at hair metal that i finished last night!  kinda veers off into 80's fusion territory at the end:

all in all, i've found the M01 to be uniquely powerful in terms of quickly sketching out song ideas, particularly when you have an idea beforehand of what all the parts (bass, melody, drums etc.) are gonna be like. 

but it takes a considerable amount of effort to get it to not sound like cheezy 80's/early 90's stuff, like pselodux said.  so you can choose to either embrace that sound, or just go back to FL or ableton or whatever other DAW you originally had in the first place.

Austin, TX

This is some rad stuff, bry! I've never used M01 before, but the tips in those videos got me to start using it, and it seems like a great program. I'm all for making cheesy eurobeat shmaltz, and this fits that perfectly. Great for quick song ideas too, more so than Nitrotracker thanks to the wide variety of built-in instruments. Especially those kits.