Hi lazerbeat.
it was not pointed against you, i think you did a great job smile

it sounded like several had problems making good drums on the opl2/opl3 card.
and also that the it could not, or be difficult to make good drums on the opl2/op3.
there for i had to point out that the only reason, that i think why it is so hard, is because the software is laking.
and I also believe that the most important thing, to make good drums is a good pitch control, on any synth chip.
if you take a chip like the ay8910 or the ym2149, it can only produce a square wave but still you can make some real good drum sound, if you have a good pitch control.

i have just uploaded two more examples to show my point. (i know that the music is not great, this is what i meant with my music laking skill smile) )

in this one i have use my bend routine to make a synth Scrat.  this was made for fun, i uploaded to show that you can make some realy weird sound when changing the freq.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2770168477/Scrat_man.mp3
and this one, has a pretty heavy Bass drum.
https://rapidshare.com/files/2124887900/palltex.mp3

Last edited by fedepede04 (Mar 17, 2012 4:16 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

2 more videos up. DR/SL and Feedback/hihats

@fedepede04 interesting stuff!

New York City

There is the one thing that puzzles me the most about FM and I'd like to learn: those bloody flowcharts of how the synthesis patch is wired up. Can you cover that? With the more operators the better, as 4op is rather simple.

Tokyo, Japan

The flow charts absolutely, They aren't THAT hard. 6op it totally possible but I don't have a 6op synth, all mine are 4op, Something for the future....

- edit - Cascating operators confuse me, very very hard to predict. Also yamaha having arbitrary numbering policies for operators depending on the day of the week is confusing.

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Mar 22, 2012 9:20 am)

Thanks Lazerbeat

New York City
Lazerbeat wrote:

6op it totally possible but I don't have a 6op synth, all mine are 4op, Something for the future....

Yeah man forget what I said, all I have is 4op too, so that should do it.
Thanks big_smile

I find there's usually not much practical reason to use more than 4 operators hooked together. If it's 6-op it's at most 4 operators with 1 carrier, then the remaining 2 as a simple modulator+carrier for an extra layer of sound. This seems to be the case with all the DX7 sounds I've browsed through.

Unsubscribe

Well there is always 8x2OP:

freezedream wrote:

source files for all my tracks to learn stuff then just let me know.

Ooooo me! PM me!!!

.FILTHadelphia

Just watched part 1 and moving on to part 2. After finishing a track using a similar tracker (DefleMask) this all makes much more sense now. What a great Thursday afternoon.

uhajdafdfdfa
Lazerbeat wrote:

If you look in the manual for the MBFM they call the Macros "wave table sequencing" which I assume it the same thing.

well it is not a hardware feature but software so i am sure it is not exactly the same thing. sadtracker 2 has a wavetable too which works differently (and BETTER) than adtrack2 macro i think.... but it's good to learn to use these tables things because they help a lot with percussion and also to make other sounds!

Abandoned on Fire
ant1 wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

If you look in the manual for the MBFM they call the Macros "wave table sequencing" which I assume it the same thing.

well it is not a hardware feature but software so i am sure it is not exactly the same thing. sadtracker 2 has a wavetable too which works differently (and BETTER) than adtrack2 macro i think.... but it's good to learn to use these tables things because they help a lot with percussion and also to make other sounds!

"sadtracker 2"?  Do you myean MadTracker 2 or Pause Records?

New York City
herr_prof wrote:

God DAMN IT.

uhajdafdfdfa
egr wrote:
ant1 wrote:

i mean  "SURPRISE! ADLIB TRACKER 2" which is know as SADTRACKER or SADT and creates .SA2 Modules

Abandoned on Fire
ant1 wrote:
egr wrote:

i mean  "SURPRISE! ADLIB TRACKER 2" which is know as SADTRACKER or SADT and creates .SA2 Modules

Ah!  Thanks!

herr_prof wrote:

That could be useful to make string sections, choirs or anything else that relies on unison for its characteristics. Although I think just 3x 2op would be enough for chiptune purposes (and the same results have already been achieved at the expense of more channels).