Italy

H there! The more I dwell on this forum, the more I feel like increasing the chipsound part of my equipment. I currently only have a C64 with Mssiah, a Gakken SX-150 and am awaiting the arrival of a Casio VL-1 keyboard. (of course I have some other stuff in my studio, but that's too Hi-fi and doesn't really count)

So now the question: do you have any tips on what I could check out to expand my current set up? I'm in an experimenting mood, and I don't fear the little DIY here and there, though I'm not an expert in electronics (still working on that).

You could build a midibox SID or something. That's pretty DIY and badass.

Italy

yeah! Well actually I have already pre-ordered a sammich kit. Midibox had me a bit scared... you the sourcing for all the parts thing. Of course the MidiboxSID with all the knobs is still tempting...

I'm actually also quite intrigued by the Shruti-1 btw... but they still haven't revealed a realease date.

but what about some vintage stuff... like Sinclair Spectrum or something like that, can that be used for making music? I really can't find real info on the web about it.

London

try an Atari ST, its dead easy to load software on it - no need to build anything

England

I think that a more important question is do you know how to use what equipment you have already?

i wouldnt think of expanding what you have until you know how to use that C64 properly, its pretty damn versatile.

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 9, 2010 4:31 pm)

Unsubscribe

Or lsiten to your music, and find the thing that makes the sound you miss most! Lots of people do great music with far less equipment.

Milan, Italy

Hey Amico!

Where are you from!? big_smile

I could be predictable.. but a gameboy + lsdj is really powerfull, easy and cheap! smile

Brunswick, GA USA

Perhaps a question to ask is, why do you want to expand your setup?  Maybe some Boss pedals will do.

Italy

I forgot to mention one thing: if I'm going to expand I want something somehow portable, something I could use also live... I have some really heavy gear in my studio, like a Korg DSS-1 which is an amazing synth imho but I wouldn't take it to a gig, it's just too heavy.

first of all thanks a lot to everybody for your answers!

@GwEm: Atari ST sounds interesting, but not really portable, is it?
@Jellica: Well I'm still figuring out the C64. What I really like is the Mssiah monosynth. But that's a monosynth, you can't do a whole track with it. I could get a second c64 and another mssiah cart and use sequencer on one and monosynth on the other... but I liked the idea of addin something with a different sound to the setup. Anyway, generally speaking you have a point, maybe I should think less about buying gear...
@herr_prof: that's a good advice... will think about it.
@arottenbit: yeah gameboy... have been thinking about it... but I must admit that I'm a bit tired of the sound...
@chunter: well yeah, I somehow need just one more device... but boss pedals are a great idea nonetheless...

Italy
arottenbit wrote:

Hey Amico!
Where are you from!? big_smile

I've sent you a PM... did you get it?

brighton, uk

Invest in some sort of disk hardware for your c64 and get tracking!
I reccomend 1541u, expensive yet portable!

Milan, Italy
rumpelfilter wrote:

yeah gameboy... have been thinking about it... but I must admit that I'm a bit tired of the sound...

yeah.. i guess.. but using it with some other instrument (you already have) is really really nice. If you're doing dance-able songs gameboys has the most powerfull sweep kicks ever (imo).

Italy
CMDR wrote:

Invest in some sort of disk hardware for your c64 and get tracking!
I reccomend 1541u, expensive yet portable!

yeah, I really need one of those... right now I'm writing down settings of patches I make...
C64TPC would be cheaper... but not really portable, since laptops don't have serial ports (although I heard something about having it work with USB).

arottenbit wrote:

yeah.. i guess.. but using it with some other instrument (you already have) is really really nice. If you're doing dance-able songs gameboys has the most powerfull sweep kicks ever (imo).

Well I have a GB lying around, could try it out... seems like a fun thing to play with anyway. I should probably mod it with pro sound...
I tried out nanoloop on the emulator and it looked sweet, don't know about lsdj

London, UK
gwEm wrote:

try an Atari ST, its dead easy to load software on it - no need to build anything

i've wanted to try your dj software since watching the workshop at blip07, one of these days....!

London, UK
rumpelfilter wrote:

@arottenbit: yeah gameboy... have been thinking about it... but I must admit that I'm a bit tired of the sound...

Put the time in, and you can make music that sounds nothing like a gameboy!

England
rumpelfilter wrote:

@Jellica: Well I'm still figuring out the C64. What I really like is the Mssiah monosynth. But that's a monosynth, you can't do a whole track with it. I could get a second c64 and another mssiah cart and use sequencer on one and monosynth on the other... but I liked the idea of addin something with a different sound to the setup. Anyway, generally speaking you have a point, maybe I should think less about buying gear...

seriously the C64 is fucking perfect, get a decent tracker and explore that baby a whole lot. its a bit fucking uncontrolable and random at first but persevere, that filter and ring mod are loverly and try multispeed for those tight sounds.