Hello chipmusic! I'm extremely new to playing music on a Gameboy, but I've been dabbling in analog synthesis for a little bit now.

I just had a (hopefully) easy question:
How do I play notes with a MIDI keyboard connected to my Arduinoboy, connected to my Gameboy playing LSDJ? Every time I press a key, it just steps along the phrase and it isn't playing notes.

My LSDJ is set to "MIDI" sync, and it's connected to my Arduinoboy, which is connected to a Moog Little Phatty MIDI OUT. Any help is greatly appreciated!

:3

Last edited by xombiexplox (Apr 8, 2012 11:46 pm)

Unsubscribe

You need to set the aboy to lsdj keyboard mode and lsdj to KEYBD mode to play notes in lsdj. You can read more about the lsdj side stuff here:

http://the.fontvir.us/b10g/?id=126

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to give this a try tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes smile)))

Ahhhh, I keep trying using these instructions but when I press any key it just gives me the same high-pitched note! The lights are flickering showing that it's receiving the MIDI notes, but I can't change the note sad Does the MIDI out on my keyboard need to be on a certain channel? I tried them all and only channels 1-5 showed any flickering. This is more frustrating than I thought it would be! sad

Philadelphia, PA

I used to have this same problem before I pretty much figured this all out. The online documentation is good but it doesn't really answer every question. First, the keyboard has to be on channel 16, I believe, so make sure that's happening. Next, I think you're probably using the wrong mode on your arduino boy, so cycle through all of them until you get the right one. A good idea is to make sure your first instrument (and maybe a few of the other lower numbered instruments, in case you're accidentally cycling through them) have really short volume envelopes. Finally, the big problem I was having was I was using a MicroKORG, which only offers like 2.5 octaves at a time and sometimes defaults to lower octaves than what LSDJ can handle.. So I was hitting notes and getting no response, OR LSDJ was inadvertently cycling through instruments/tables because hitting lower notes controls that. So try messing with some octave settings on your keyboard or playing middle/higher notes if it's a big keyboard.

chipocrite wrote:

I used to have this same problem before I pretty much figured this all out. The online documentation is good but it doesn't really answer every question. First, the keyboard has to be on channel 16, I believe, so make sure that's happening. Next, I think you're probably using the wrong mode on your arduino boy, so cycle through all of them until you get the right one. A good idea is to make sure your first instrument (and maybe a few of the other lower numbered instruments, in case you're accidentally cycling through them) have really short volume envelopes. Finally, the big problem I was having was I was using a MicroKORG, which only offers like 2.5 octaves at a time and sometimes defaults to lower octaves than what LSDJ can handle.. So I was hitting notes and getting no response, OR LSDJ was inadvertently cycling through instruments/tables because hitting lower notes controls that. So try messing with some octave settings on your keyboard or playing middle/higher notes if it's a big keyboard.

Ah!!! Awesome!! I got it working for a little while but it's still being a little fussy sometimes and it will just not work anymore and pressing the switch does nothing. I have to re-upload the code a bunch of times and unplug it and plug it in and reset it and sometimes it works.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that when I turn on the Arduinoboy and plug it into my powered down DMG, my backlight turns on??? Very weird
sad

Unsubscribe

Try it on an unmodded gameboy. I have one from a modder that freaks out whenever i use an aboy with it.

Rhode Island

I was having a similar thing happen. Stopped when I switched to external power with the DMG. My batteries were very low on it and it was doing funky stuff

You guys are the fucking best! Thanks herr_prof, chipocrite and 2PLAYER! I'm pretty sure my Arduino is trashed though, it doesn't upload code anymore and I don't have a programmer to fix it sad Looks like Radio Shack is about to make $30!

Sweeeeeeden
xombiexplox wrote:

I'm pretty sure my Arduino is trashed though, it doesn't upload code anymore and I don't have a programmer to fix it sad

If you don't have a programmer, how can you know if it's uploading code?

Do you mean that the LEDs don't blink when you turn it on? (etc)

I mean I have the Arduino IDE program, I just don't have the hardware to allow me to upload a fresh bootloader. When I try to upload code it gives me errors, some googling led me to believe its a bad bootloader, but I could also just be a fucking moron.

Rhode Island

What errors are you getting? Are you sure it's being recognized by your computer and that it's even receiving code to begin with?

I'm at work now, and I don't remember what the exact error was. Something like 'avrdude arduino not in sync' something something.

I know it's receiving code because I tried giving it a blank program and then putting arduinoboy back on it. When I put the blank program on, nothing happens after it's powered on; then when Arduinoboy is loaded the LEDs flash during powerup but it only switches between modes sometimes after I mess with it and get really frustrated.

This is the blank sketch I threw on it:

void setup(void){}
void loop(void){}

It doesn't always give me the errors though! I think I've got everything wired correctly, as I had it working for a short while.