so i installed the mint backlight v3 from nonelectronics into my dmg and when i turn it on it works perfect and i see the nintendo block when there is no game in it, but when i put a game in i just get 3 horizontal lines or sometimes a checkerboard type pattern any help please?

Matthew Joseph Payne

Sounds like the backlight may be drawing too much power. Make sure you installed the resistor correctly!

turns out i didnt have the resistor connected at all, but when i reconnected it there was no screen light at all, just the battery led

San Diego

Hopefully you didn't burn out the LEDs in the backlight. Double check the resistor connections and make sure you have a good solder. Where did you solder the resistor and wires to? If you have a pic to show how your setup looks it might help a bit.

nah the led works fine, i was thinking maybe theres too much excess solder on the curcuits, could that be an issue?

matt's mind
VenzaKid wrote:

could that be an issue?

this is a HUGE problem in soldering.  very common mistake. 

there is such a thing as too much solder, and of course too little.  the trick is to get only as much as you need, beyond this is a waste.  just enough to work.

you've probably got what are called 'solder bridges,' meaning you joined two solder points together because too much solder.  they touch with big globs of solder a lot.

the easiest way to get extra solder off is with stuff called 'desoldering braid', or a solder sucker.  i hate the suckers though, personal preference...

Matthew Joseph Payne

I'm the opposite. Can't stand braids, work great with desoldering pumps. smile

thanks kitsch! i took it out and installed it on my gameboy pocket instead and it works perfectly! now i know for future modding smile